Playlist: songs to remove you from winter misery, if only for three, four minutes

Winter sucks, here are some songs packed with warm rays of sunshine, intense bass, flutes to make you feel better about it
Photo courtesy of Autumn Tone Records

The groundhog has spoken and we have too many weeks left in winter, so The Badger Herald arts staff came up with a playlist to help alleviate the struggles of winter. Let these ironic winter songs transport you to a warmer, happier place.

Django Django – “Life’s A Beach”

Not only does this song make me feel like it’s summer 2013 again, but sometimes it also makes me feel like I’m in a surfer movie from the 80s. This song’s psychedelic vibe is sure to make you dream about dance parties on the beach and sand in between your toes. If you close your eyes long enough you might just feel like you’re in a Californian paradise instead of trudging through the living hell that is Wisconsin winter. – Tia Hagenbucher

Sean Paul – “Temperature”

“Temperature” was a middle school dance staple, and it’s also perfect for trudging through the frozen abyss to 8 a.m. lecture. This song will be a constant reminder of the plummeting temperatures as you struggle to walk through knee-deep snow and ice. Because 20 below is what Sean Paul was thinking when he wrote this song, right? – Hunter Reed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjPl0O0jkgk

Samuel L Cool J – “Slip and Slide”

Hotter than summer pavement, this song always makes me think of the sweltering heat beating upon my bopping head. From the opening echoed drums hits to the final sax lick evaporating into the harmonic sunshine, there is not one icy note in this song. Samuel L Cool J is top-down summer comfort. – Eric Wiig

The Mamas & the Papas – “California Dreamin'”

Like the first line of the song, “all the leaves are brown and the sky is grey,” so what better track to motivate us through the winter drudgery than this 1965 classic. Although most of us aren’t walking the snow-covered streets with our vintage clogs and bell bottoms, it is easy to feel a certain kinship with The Mamas & the Papas as they dream of sunny days and greener California pastures. The flute solo will also put a pep in your step. –  Selena Handler 

Sheryl Crow – “Soak Up the Sun”

If there is any song capable of throwing one into a sunny fit of nostalgia it’s “Soak Up the Sun.” Crow’s slight twang, tongue-in-cheek lyrics and catchy chorus emit memories of driving around in old trucks, but instead of on a back road with can of beer in hand, it’s along the California coast with blonde locks flowing. It makes you wonder how Lance Armstrong could have ever fallen out of love with Crow, but then again Armstrong is not the most upstanding citizen. – Kaden Greenfield

Kendrick Lamar – “Money Trees”

Last summer at Pitchfork Music Festival, Kendrick Lamar performed an emotional set for an ecstatic crowd full of bearded hipsters, South-siders and myself, an awkward white girl who fell in love with Lamar and his nuanced and powerful music. “Money Trees” was one of the first tracks of that night, and in addition to providing a sauntering beat and rhythm for any good summer romp, it will forever remind me of the sun setting and anticipation rising for K-Dot. Money trees are the perfect place for shade, after all. – Audrey Piehl 

The Head and the Heart – “Let’s Be Still”

Winter freezes many things, not excluding the matters of the heart: libidos, romantic endeavors, the initiative to even pursue a potential partner. But with the help of a good song, particularly one reminiscent of the innocent expedition for love, a frozen heart can thaw. “Let’s Be Still” is the beautiful, melodic anecdote anyone brought down by those bitter winds needs. – Audrey Piehl

Dirty Gold – “California Sunrise”

There’s no better way to escape the doldrums of winter than by listening to seagulls chirp and waves crash on some remote California beach. I first heard this song in Nashville in the sweltering August sun, so it will always be a reminder of lazy summer days eating mac and cheese and fired chicken while listening to alternative-country crossover bands. Summer, come back to me. – Selena Handler

Florence + the Machine – “Howl”

In honor of her upcoming first album in four years, “Howl” is one of the most understated jams from the redheaded and celestial goddess that is Flo. “Howl” is a song about steamy, adolescent sexy times. “Screaming in the dark, I howl when we’re apart / Drag my teeth across your chest to taste your beating heart” are just some of the lines that will get your blood pumping and forgetful of the chill outside. – Audrey Piehl