Aesop Rock, Rob Sonic blaze it up at Barrymore

Headlining rappers drop poetic, gritty beats for ‘evidently chill’ crowd with assistance from Midwestern legend DJ Abilities
Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons

Hard-hitting rap beats blew up the east side Tuesday night as rappers Aesop Rock and Rob Sonic made it out to the Barrymore. In spite of the snow-pocalyptic conditions, these New-York born rappers preached to a packed theatre of loyal fans.

Up first on stage was experimental hip hop artist WebsterX and his crew. A self-proclaimed poetry freak turned MC, this Milwaukee-based rapper riled up the scene like no other. Though still paving his way in the music industry, WebsterX drew an energy down front that was electric. His performance of each song grew progressively more animated, to the point where he was glistening in sweat and gasping for air between drops.

WebsterX transformed the typical rapper stance to more of an exercise in calisthenics. Bopping from side to side and grinding way down low on that stage, the rapper no doubt left the theatre that night five pounds lighter. The hilarity of his crew’s dancing was just as entertaining. Breaking, locking and popping were redefined on that stage. The crowd certainly admired the stamina, loving WebsterX all the more as they nodded their heads in approval and cashed out zealous arm waves.

But just as the room was warming up, the life quickly fizzled as WebsterX made his exit and left the audience waiting for the next act. In the lapse between performances, a set track list streamed out rap tunes to a group thirsty for more live beats. As the crowd twiddled thumbs for close to an hour, the classic Shy Glizzy tune “So Awesome” screeched in over the speakers, which elicited a chorus of “boos.” Queens-based rapper Homeboy Sandman read the impatience as his cue and grabbed the mic for a brief stint.

Well-known in the rap world, Homeboy Sandman has been chosen as a coach on MTV shows and also writes regularly for Huffington Post and Gawker. Even Rolling Stone has cited his “skill for wordplay that keeps you hooked.” He proved such accolades in the performance he gave on stage at the Barrymore.

Admittedly fucked up, Sandman took his rapper stance and apologized for the brevity of what was a 10-minute performance. He expressed guilt for “the abbreviated shit” and promised he’d make it up to the crowd as he handed the stage over to the main act of the night.

Aesop Rock and Rob Sonic then swung into their performance with little lag after Homeboy Sandman to the satisfaction of the enthused crowd. Also on stage was Minneapolis underground hip hop producer DJ Abilities. The talented DJ is well-respected in the local scene and is known as one of the best battle DJs in the Midwest. The crowd welcomed his addition to the stage as he scratched out crunk solos on his turntable that matched the drops of Aesop and Rob Sonic.

After delivering a steady stream of music, the strapping Rob Sonic later pulled a fake move to dive into the crowd, laughing at the girl down front who didn’t even flinch at the threat. Perhaps what fueled the evidently chill crowd, which continued to sway nonchalantly, was the attempted inconspicuous weed use throughout the show. Security passed through the standing mosh pit a few times as smoke billowed from the crowd up front at various points during the performance. This was for sure a show that’d leave you reeking like you rolled through a Colorado dispensary.

While no following artists could reach the manic WebsterX’s level of hype, all rappers delivered a solid string of poetic beats. However indistinguishable the lyrics, the force and gritty power of their delivery was enough to keep the crowd content and charged for more. The speed with which they all casted out raps was admirable and drew a sense of respect that kept the crowd going well past midnight.