WUD Film’s 2014 Mini Indie Festival is a cinematic utopia

Nine movies to see at this year’s jam-packed fest dedicated to the finest independent films of the year
WUD+Films+2014+Mini+Indie+Festival+is+a+cinematic+utopia+
RADiUS-TWC

Over the years, I’ve heard many people complain about the absence of movie theaters in the downtown Madison area. These complaints aren’t entirely unfounded. If someone wants to see “Interstellar,” they have to drive or bus to Sundance 608 — four miles from the Capitol. If this person wants to see the same film in IMAX, they have to drive to AMC Star Fitchburg 18 — a nice nine miles from the Capitol. As such, it’s understandable why downtown Madison residents are starving for cinema (cinema you don’t have to drive miles to see).

But most of these people take for granted the wealth of theater options on campus. For lovers of all types of cinema, there’s the UW Cinematheque, which screens classic and rare films multiple days a week in Vilas Hall and the Chazen Museum of Art. For those who prefer their movies to have been released within the past year or so, there’s WUD Film, a student-run committee that organizes free films to be shown at The Marquee at Union South. This year, the committee has outdone itself with its Mini Indie Film Festival, which will showcase some of the finest independent releases of this year. Chances are you’ll see at least a few of these films on critics’ end-of-the-year lists; this festival might be the only chance you have to catch them before they arrive on DVD. To help you plan your moviegoing, here are our nine must-see films of the festival.

The One I Love

Thursday, Nov. 20, 7 p.m.

A film that, on the surface, appears to be about a married couple attempting to rekindle their marriage during a weekend at an idyllic country home, “The One I Love” throws a hefty twist at its audience. As it progresses, the romantic dramedy grows increasingly surreal and treads into sci-fi territory. But we can’t spoil anything here.

Blue Ruin

Friday, Nov. 21, 7 p.m.

“Blue Ruin” is one of the starkest thrillers of recent years. It reveals the motivations behind its characters at a sluggish pace, including the reason its protagonist — who sleeps in cars and sports a large beard — decides to kill a man recently released from prison. This is a film that revels in unbearable suspense.

Only Lovers Left Alive

Friday, Nov. 21, 9 p.m.

The latest from auteur Jim Jarmusch, “Only Lovers Left Alive” is a supercool, deadpan take on the vampire genre. Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton play the lead vampires; they’ve been alive for centuries and lie around their dark apartments with sunglasses on, getting high on blood and listening to brooding music. “Twilight”— except much better — for hipsters.

What We Do in the Shadows

Friday, Nov. 21, 11:30 p.m.

One of two vampire films being shown at Mini Indie, “What We Do in the Shadows” differs considerably from Jarmush’s. It’s a hilarious mockumentary that focuses on the lives of three vampire roommates. These guys go clubbing, get too drunk on blood and remind each other not to eat the camera crew filming them.

Ernest and Celestine

Saturday, Nov. 22, 2 p.m.

Nominated for Best Animated Feature at the 2014 Academy Award, “Ernest and Celestine” is a critically-lauded tale of an unlikely friendship between a mouse and a bear. The film boasts traditional animation, with beautiful, hand-drawn characters and watercolor landscapes. If you’re into, like, cute things, you should see this.

A Most Wanted Man

Saturday, Nov. 22, 9 p.m.

“A Most Wanted Man” is worth a watch if only because it is Philip Seymour Hoffman’s last leading performance. Based on a John le Carré novel and directed by acclaimed music video director Anton Corbijn, the film is a smart, twisting story of special agents trying to get to the bottom of a mysterious immigrant’s true identity.

Wetlands

Saturday, Nov. 22, 11:30 p.m.

This story of a sex-obsessed teenager is a must-see only if you can handle the following: a woman inserting vegetables into her vagina, men ejaculating onto pizzas, a woman defecating on a man’s chest, a woman cutting her anus while shaving her ass pubes — all this and much, much more. This is cinema.

The Unknown Known

Sunday, Nov. 23, 1 p.m.

Master documentary filmmaker and UW graduate Errol Morris found one of his most riveting subjects yet in former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld. Morris’ methodical approach to understanding the man is a marvel. As the filmmaker grills Rumsfeld — who maintains an eerily calm demeanor throughout— we begin to see the holes in the man’s philosophies. A stunning documentary.

Listen Up Philip

Sunday, Nov. 23, 5:30 p.m.

“Listen Up Philip” is the portrait of a narcissist. This narcissist, played by Jason Schwartzman, is a writer who finds increasing literary success, which, along with his sour personality, alienates him from everyone around him, including his girlfriend, played by Elisabeth Moss. An understated, mature piece of filmmaking.

https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2014/10/29/listen-up-philip-humanizes-cruel-misanthropic-jason-schwartzman-character/