Badger Herald staff picks their favorite songs to turn up to before Freakfest

Megan McCormick

Freakfest is upon us and y’all know what that means: a weekend filled with endless turning up with some spooky influences. State Street will be run amuck with turnt Waldos and an assortment of intoxicated “cats.” Here are some songs to get you in a super turnt, super spooky, super scary mood before joining in the mayhem this Halloween weekend.

Daft Punk – “Robot Rock / Oh Yeah” (Live)

This song is like the longest buildup to an orgasm followed by the most powerful orgasm ever that lasts for four minutes. —Erik Sateren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0moRAX02Dk

Azealia Banks – “212”

While not doing a variety of drugs with Donald Glover and engaging in annoying twitter rants, Azealia Banks is producing excellent turn up music. “212,” and it’s mesmerizing black and white music video, mixes melody and mayhem, curse words and cunnilingus. There is no better song to drunkenly pretend you can rap to. —Audrey Piehl

Justin Timberlake – “Rock Your Body”

J.T. impregnated his wife Jessica Biel to this song. Okay I made that up, but the NSYNC veteran and modern renaissance man is known for some of the most classic “let’s touch each other in the dark after taking five shots of apple Smirnoff vodka” jams. If that groovy bass-line coupled with the image of that Timberlake jawline doesn’t excite you in that dank basement, I don’t know what will. —Audrey Piehl

Escort –”Cocaine Blues”

This is a song about doing cocaine. People do cocaine when they want to turn the party up an extra notch, or when they work on Wall Street and need something expensive to put in their nose to get them through the day. If these things appeal to you, or if you just have a penchant for infectious nu-disco, this song deserves a spot on your party playlist. —Erik Sateren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TxH6Gf4Cf8

Haim feat. A$AP Ferg – “My Song 5″ 

As if Haim’s acclaimed 2013 release, Days Are Gone, could get any better, acclaimed rapper A$AP Ferg participated in a remix of “My Song 5,” fueling the girl power anthem with his signature attitude and an expectedly lurid verse. The juxtaposition provides the perfect back drop to a funky game of beer pong. — Audrey Piehl

Missy Elliott – “Get Ur Freak On”

When Missy tells you to freak, you turn it up. —Alex Arriaga

The Crpyt-Kickers – “Monster Mash”

When your voice becomes loud and slurred, the hugs become longer, the Solo cups litter the floor and you suddenly don’t care that you’ve lost your left shoe and general rationality, it is time to put on “Monster Mash.” Appropriate for Halloween and any time of the year where everyone is wasted, this throwback will inevitably turn into a smorgasbord of hilarious dance moves and sing-a-longs. Just hope there isn’t a somewhat sober wallflower ready to send the results to uwmadison_snaps. — Audrey Piehl

Major Lazer – “Original Don”

The track opens with immediate and unwavering turn up beats. Throughout the song, the constantly syncopating and pulsating beats will work nicely with your choice of strobe lights and ensure much dance, much turning up. The various beats and melodies culminate in one explosive moment when the bass drops and it becomes impossible for party or pregame goers to resist letting their hips swing. —Selena Handler

Timeflies – “All The Way”

When trying to slam copious amount of alcohol on the weekend there’s no better song than song “All The Way,” or anything by artist Timeflies, to turn all the way up to. When the beat drops in “All The Way,” it’s not humanly possible to not throw back another shot or shotgun your favorite beer and smash the empty can against your forehead. Also, the song reminds me of the Badgers Final Four run last season, and that’s reason enough to turn up. — Eric Kohlbeck

R. Kelly – “Bump N’ Grind”

I feel as though the king of urination and being trapped in closets needs no further introduction. “Bump N’ Grind” is a turn up party essential. — Audrey Piehl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAXxkNaRkp8

Big Sean – “I Don’t Fuck With You”

It’s Halloween. Here on the University of Wisconsin campus there are two groups of girls: The girls that dress a little risqué for their costumes and the girls that shame the girls who cover a little less. If you’re one of the less … modest … girls, then this song is perfect to play for all the haters. —Kayla Marcoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svxm4KAsmb4

50 Cent – “If I Can’t”

If you’re wanting music to turn up to, look no further than “If I Can’t” by 50 Cent. I’ve been bumping 50 since back in the day (a.k.a. my middle school gangster rap phase). But now that I’m in college, I’ve developed a newfound appreciation for such rappers as 50 and T.I., because their music is just awesome to drink to. If your head isn’t bopping to the hard-hitting beat of “If I Can’t,” rip another shot and play that ish again. —Cam Ariana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epPipE4z95I

Andrew Gold – “Spooky Scary Skeleton”

Banned in most of Europe and certain parts of northern Africa for being too spooky, Andrew Gold’s ghoulish tune will infuse your party, drum circle or family reunion with a near-fatal dose of heebie jeebies. Nine out of 10 dentists agree this song will spook your ass off. —Aaron Hathaway

One Direction – “Best Song Ever”

There are a lot of reasons why “Best Song Ever” is quite possibly the best song ever, but at the top of the list is its ability to inspire me to turn the fuck up. Even if it’s a Tuesday morning in class, if “Best Song Ever” comes on I immediately scream like a 14-year-old white girl and fly into a frenzy of dance moves rivaling the best dad dancers around. If One Direction has but one goal: it’s to help average guys like me get turnt. —Dan Corcoran

The Doors – “The End”

While it might not the best song for your Freakfest celebrations, this song from The Doors’ eponymous 1967 debut album creeps me out. Psychedelic influences, creepy-organ and Jim Morrison make for an unsettling mix, especially late at night. In true horror movie tradition, the almost 12-minute long song starts innocently enough with pretty guitar and melancholy lyrics. As we move deeper however, increasingly disturbing imagery hints at the madness to come while the music spirals slowly into insanity, culminating into a scene worthy of an Alfred Hitchcock film. Listening all the way through takes a measure of courage, especially hearing Morrison chant “kill, kill, kill” over and over again. —Nathaniel Scharping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4