Taylor Swift rejects typical pop themes to redefine genre on latest LP

Photo courtesy of Big Machine Records

Most people, when they hear a mention of a Taylor Swift song (or breakup) will respond with an eye roll, scoff or complete lack of acknowledgement. The 24-year-old singer has a reputation of being an emotionally charged, psychotic ex-girlfriend who solely writes about her relationships, or lack thereof.

Her fifth album, 1989, does include boy-bashing and breakups, but is not defined solely by those characteristics. This breakthrough album solidifies Swift’s independence from country and her emergence into pop, while still producing a sound that is identifiably and unapologetically her.

Her album not only pushes the boundary for pop music, it transforms it. While pop artists like Miley Cyrus, Nicki Minaj and Kesha sing about drugs, sex and money in order to sell records, Taylor Swift refrains from these themes. She does not engage in the widely accepted objectification of female bodies, choosing instead to focus on meaningful lyricism in addition to her catchy melodies. The vocals are not the emphasis of this album; instead the music takes the main stage.

Her first single off the album, “Shake It Off,”  proved successful and jetted straight to No. 1 on the Billboard Top 100. The hit anthem not only proved Swift’s disregard for her inevitable “haters,” but also acknowledged her self-awareness and set the stage for an album entirely her own.

To set the tone of 1989, Swift opened the album with a song titled “Welcome to New York,” a literal and metaphorical declaration of her shift from youthful innocence to sophisticated independence. Referring to it as an “electric city,” Swift claims her move to New York was the inspiration and landscape for the story of her life in the most recent years. The song immediately screams pop, with its electronic backdrop and repetitive beats. A nod to her new image, she sings, “Everybody here wanted something more/ searching for a sound we hadn’t heard before.”

Complimenting the up-beat introduction, the following songs “Blank Space,” “Style” and “Out of the Woods” capture the same melodic tone while transitioning into relationship themes. Swift’s seasoned lyrical skills haven’t waned since her beginnings, as she reminisces about reckless love, the bad boys she just can’t quit and the musings of songwriting.

“Blank Space” in particular, comes full circle as Swift knowingly acknowledges her famous songwriting process that involves pouring memories of past experiences into her songs. This sassy and fun song, again, proves Swift’s ability to be self-aware and proud of the content she creates.

The ballad side of Taylor Swift presents itself in songs such as “I Wish You Would,” “Wildest Dreams” and “This Love.” Her skillful ability to write a song that will make the listener both cry and reminisce is impeccable and downright refreshing. Sidestepping the conventional pop genre, Swift demonstrates a genuine involvement in the work she puts into her final product. Not only are these songs relatable to the average heartbroken girl, but they also prove to be well-thought-out and loaded with figurative meaning instead of simply relying on contemporary themes to create a sense of familiarity to the listener.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi89_uV5HIY

The album has its flaws, yes. Swift’s emergence into pop didn’t come without problems, as many of the songs begin to sound very similar in sound. This disadvantage sometimes comes with the territory of pop music, but Swift’s ingenious way of promoting a sense of wonder and catchiness into her music helped sway this inevitable weakness.

The album approaches each song with a wider lens, opening up the possibility of a more universal album that will acquire the tastes of her not-so-normal fan base. Her album, 1989, offers a fresh, fun and inventive way to experience pop music while also enjoying the nuances of a well-written song with meaningful and complementary melodies. Taylor Swift is proving to the music industry that she’s more than just the “ex-girlfriend,” but rather a fiercely independent woman who knows what she wants, and knows how to get it.

4.5/5