Acclaimed Chef Tory Miller opens promising new Pan-Asian restaurant

Japchae+Entree+at+Sujeo+Restaurant+
Meghan Horvath
Japchae Entree at Sujeo Restaurant

Esteemed chef Tory Miller announced the opening of his latest culinary installment, Sujeo, a Pan-Asian, Korean barbecue joint about a year ago. Regardless of the cuisine, locals have been generating buzz based on Miller’s track record. Chef Miller demonstrated his expertise in the culinary field as Executive Chef of L’Etoile and Graze, both highly regarded on local and national scales. In fact, L’Etoile consistently ranked as one of the top restaurants in the country and transformed into a true destination for food enthusiasts. With this impressive background, Miller set off to open Sujeo.

Since its grand opening more than a month ago, the Pan-Asian, Korean BBQ joint has taken off tremendously. As locals flock to try out the new space, dinner service has been regularly packed to capacity. The locally-inspired menu features an assortment of egg rolls, spring rolls and imperial rolls, all of which showcase fresh ingredients of grilled pork, shrimp, herbs and various vegetables. These particular items serve as flavor-packed appetizers for the remaining rice, noodle and ssäm dishes that make up the main portion of the menu.

Another popular option is Hot Pot, which consists of cooking meat and vegetables in a simmering pot of stock at the center of the table. The dish will prove a feast for two adventurous eaters and will never bore, considering the selection varies daily. Sujeo raises the bar for innovative dining, seeing as not many restaurants in Madison offer this interactive eating method.

As far as rice dishes, diners can expect everything from bibimbap and General Tso chicken livers to a Singaporean chili crab and hearty mango curry. All of the items showcase the restaurant’s emphasis on embracing the cuisines of multiple ethnicities and presenting twists on traditional dishes with the fusion of ingredients from various Asian-style cuisines.

The noodle entrées on the menu meld a multitude of cultures in a similar fashion. While each of these dishes are centered around noodles, there is an impressive range in types of noodles offered. Some entrées feature whole wheat noodles, while other dishes utilize rice vermicelli and wonton. The Dan Dan combines udon noodles with ground pork, spicy peanut sauce and Sichuan chili oil, while the Japchae features a combination of sweet potato glass noodles, marinated steak, bell peppers, bacon, spinach, mushrooms, sweet soy sauce and sesame.

I sampled the Japchae in my recent visit to Sujeo, and it was fascinating. As the Japchae plate arrived to the table the server came bearing a long pair of kitchen shears, which he used to cut the long glass noodles into more manageable portions. He explained that the cooking method requires the noodles stay long, but when it comes time to indulge in the dish, the noodles are easier to eat once cut to a smaller size. Overall, the dish was well balanced with sweet components from the peppers and sauce, as well as the more savory addition that the bacon and marinated steak contributed.

Sujeo as a whole presents creative representations of classic Asian-style dishes. While the food does stray from traditional, the items are well executed and demonstrate Chef Miller’s culinary ingenuity in a way that gives credibility to his wide acclaim.