Majestic crowd responds with enthusiasm, despite Panda Bear’s sleepy set

Erik Brown

At Saturday’s Majestic Theater Panda Bear concert, singer-songwriter and performer Noah Lennox seemed to have no idea that he was performing in front of a packed, enthusiastic crowd. Somehow he proceeded to put on an incredibly lively and entertaining show without moving or even opening his eyes. It was evident it would not have made a difference to Lennox if he were performing to just the bouncer or bartender; his passion and sheer joy in performing was evident.

Lennox, also a member of Animal Collective, started his show at the arbitrary time of 10:18 p.m. The show followed in the same random pattern as the rest of the night. After saying a simple “hi” like you do to the cashier at Walgreens, Lennox took his spot behind his computer and sampler with nothing but a can of PBR. His grungy, I-could-car-less-that-all-of-you-came-to-see-me-play look was echoed by the audience as they looked seemingly uninterested.

However, the instant that Lennox’s experimental tones and electronic sound started, the whole crowd began to sway and head-bob simultaneously as if it had been choreographed. Although there were not really lyrics to sing along to, and Panda Bear ran his show like it was one run-on song, the audience was enthralled by the music the entire time.

Alongside the beats and the harmonic sound of his voice, behind Lennox the entire time was a range of projected, hallucinatory and multicolored trippy images that continuously changed throughout the performance. Really, the best way to describe these projections is like being on Willy Wonka’s boat (in the 2005 version of the movie) and going through the tunnel on the chocolate river.

It was hard to understand the composition of these images, but pretty much what I got is he used women’s bodies, assorted foods and brightly colored patterns to make up this backdrop. The bodies of women were not the typical skimpy-dressed, large-breasted blondes that a lot of artists use; instead he focused on the silhouette of their bodies and their facial features. If that was not enough, a strobe light flashed frequently, specifically at the climax of a particular song to really keep the audience entranced.

The mesmerized crowd did not take their eyes off Lennox the entire show. Lennox, however, managed not to move a muscle, except his hands and mouth, and still put his fans in a trance.

At the end of the show Lennox thanked his opener, Blue Control, and then simply walked off. The crowed hollered for an encore and Panda Bear took an abnormally long time to come back out. My friend and I speculated that he probably needed a breather since he literally did not stop performing the entire show. When he did come back out, he took his same spot and again began playing. After another five minutes or so, Lennox went out with a bang, leaving his music playing and flashy imagery projecting as he walked off the stage. This left the entire crowd feeling disconnected as the music played without human agency. This was actually not a negative, but just a change of pace from an average concert. The background captivated the audience more than the artist himself.

Lennox managed to keep the audience absorbed, while also making them question if he was falling asleep or just deeply feeling the rhythm of the music — a talent that not every artist has.