Spoon forks up setlist of classic indie rock cuts at Orpheum

After 20 years together, Spoon has firmly established themselves as a band that consistently delivers innovative rock music without overstepping their bounds as artists. They Want My Soul, the band’s latest album and most ambitious work to date, pushes their sound to louder, more creative heights, but still sounds like the Spoon fans have come to love. In the live setting that was Madison’s Orpheum Theater this past Thursday it became clear that the creative discipline and balance they display in the studio directly translates in person. Thursday’s set list exemplified the group’s unique ability to play music with enough energy to make people move their feet while maintaining a relaxed, laid-back vibe.

The guys took the stage and wasted no time, jumping right into an energy-building “They Want My Soul.” Two songs later, the notable bass riff and drums of “Don’t You Evah” punched in for an early surprise that captured any stragglers’ attention. As expected, songs off Soul dominated the show, but the remainder of the set was filled with fan favorites cherry-picked from their entire discography. Highlight songs included “Rhythm and Soul,” “Don’t Make Me a Target,” “The Beast and Dragon, Adored” and, of course, a spectacular “Underdog” in the set’s encore.

Spoon gives music industry middle finger on latest

The most exhilarating performance of the night, however, had to be “I Turn My Camera On,” which featured an extended, jammed-out intro that caught the crowd off-guard and built up suspense for the song’s body.

Whether Spoon was playing loud rockers like “Rent I Pay” or lighter songs like “Who Makes Your Money,” the cohesion in sound never ceased. Singer Britt Daniel’s raspy, Lennon-like voice was on point, particularly on “Inside Out,” which showcased the singer’s top-notch vocal skills. The band’s new keyboardist, Alex Fischel, whom Daniel had played with in his side project, Divine Fits, adds a new dimension to the band and showcased his value on the synth-heavy “Outlier.” Every song was solid throughout the entire show.

The stage setup resembled the music’s minimalism with a backdrop of five plain white walls that bounced a vibrant array of colors back at the crowd.

While the music on stage was absolutely infectious, the crowd reciprocated the good vibes to create an all-around pleasant atmosphere. The majority of fans in attendance seemed to be there out of legitimate appreciation for the band, which has gained a considerable following over the past decade because of their consistently quality studio albums. In my right-hand section of the pit, there was no additional conversation that could have interrupted the show. There were no excessively drunk people looking to make themselves heard above everything else.

Despite a one-hour-and-45-minute performance that included two encores, the band didn’t seem like they were ready to slow down, even after the last song. Maybe it’s a testament to their style of playing. Maybe it’s a matter of their veteran talent. Maybe I just came to appreciate them more after experiencing them live and wanted more. Either way, Spoon proved Thursday night that indie rock isn’t dead and that their particular brand of music is best experienced live.

Spoon digs into new territory with latest studio album, ‘Transference’