Not quite April, but David Nail will ‘Let It Rain’ at Majestic

In the words of the man himself: “It’s hard to find the perfect time to say something / You know, is gonna change everything.” Indeed, the David Nail concert at the Majestic Theatre on Friday night is sold out. Yes, this does change everything.

If you happen to be one of the unfortunate few without a ticket to what is sure to be a memorable performance, take solace in the fact that David Nail’s Country Deep Tour has only just begun. In fact, the artist’s stop in Madison Friday night will be but the first installment of his concert series. Phew, plenty of time to lock in some tickets for when he heads back up to Rhinelander in July for the Hodag Country Festival, the lineup of which is looking quite promising. (Many of country music’s hottest artists are set to perform at this four-day festival including Josh Turner, Darius Rucker, Easton Corbin, Tracy Lawrence, Jerrod Niemann.)

Having already secured two No. 1 country hits, Nail is certainly earning his place as one of country music’s top artists. His most recent single “Whatever She’s Got” just topped the charts at the No. 1 position on the Country Airplay chart, making tickets to his upcoming shows quite the hot commodity. Though Nail is surely accustomed to the stardom, having worked on songs with fellow country artists Miranda Lambert, Kenny Chesney and Gary LeVox, the lead singer of Rascal Flatts. Nail has also released singles that cover tracks previously recorded by alt-rock band Train and Adele.

What sets Nail apart from his contemporaries is the level of soul he puts into the writing and delivery of each of his songs. His music centers on more melancholy themes that most country artists often avoid. He sings about cheating on “Let It Rain” and about breakups in his hit song “Red Light.” Despite these darker topics, Nail’s songs continue to captivate fans, for they’re riddled with the raw emotion that many mainstream tracks lack. Through his music, Nail demonstrates that struggles are a part of life and should be embraced, for it’s these struggles that make us human. Given the characteristically impassioned nature of the artist’s music, Nail’s performance Friday night is bound to be one for the books.