Madison spring 2014 concert calendar

The spring calendar is looking pretty darn exciting for the Madison music scene, with a wide array of indie and mainstream acts. This calendar is your introduction to the essential shows of the spring. It’s not exhaustive, so keep an eye on the Herald website for continual concert updates. Rock on!

Zeds Dead, Majestic Theater, Jan. 24, 9 p.m., $22.50

School’s back in session. Take advantage of “chyllabus” week by going freakin’ insane to some of the best EDM out there, courtesy of Toronto’s Zeds Dead.

Datsik, Segredo, Feb. 5, 9 p.m., $15-25

Dubsteppers, unite. Datsik will be hitting Segredo and will surely be pleasing hardcore EDM fans with his dark, hard-hitting tunes that blend hip-hop, rock and electronica.

Jason Isbell, Barrymore Theatre, Feb. 7, 8 p.m., $20

Who said alternative country was dead? A former Drive-By Truckers member, Isbell recently released his latest album Southeastern to some of the greatest critical acclaim of any 2013 album.

Mason Jennings, Majestic Theater, Feb. 8, 9 p.m., $20

For years, Minnesota native Mason Jennings has charmed audiences with his dense songwriting and folk-tinged sound. Keep it real with him on an intimate Majestic night.

Neutral Milk Hotel, Orpheum Theater, Feb. 8, 8 p.m., SOLD OUT

Neutral Milk Hotel’s Madison stop may be sold out, but any concertgoers lucky enough to have obtained tickets will surely stain the mountaintops with their semen. Oh, comely.

Big Gigantic, Orpheum Theater, Feb. 13, 9 p.m., $20

After his Freakfest stop in 2012, the audience for Big G is guaranteed to go wild over the Boulder-based group’s blend of jazz and EDM.

Jeremy Messersmith, High Noon Saloon, Feb. 13, 8:30 p.m., $12

If you’re into cute guys singing about broken hearts and love, look no further than Twin Cities-based Jeremy Messersmith. He’s also highly recommended for those with a crush on Ben Gibbard.

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, High Noon Saloon, Feb. 19, 8 p.m., $20

Since his departure from influential indie band Pavement, slacker-god Stephen Malkmus has kept the 90s going through a variety of projects, most notably the feel-good band the Jicks.

Dropkick Murphys, Orpheum Theater, Feb. 21, 8 p.m., $30

As St. Patty’s Day nears, there’s no better way to get excited than to get piss-drunk and dance your ass off to the best Celtic punk music outside of Ireland.

Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears, High Noon Saloon, Feb. 26, 8 p.m., $16

Sometimes music is so funky it just stinks like sweat. Bluesy yet punky, Lewis’ music is what it feels like to drink a ton of beer and wash it down with fried chicken. Damn good.

Cloud Cult, Barrymore Theatre, March 1, 8 p.m., $20

Cloud Cult might be the most environmentally-friendly band on earth. Their compassion for the environment extends even further into perfecting their infectious indie pop sound.

Xiu Xiu, The Frequency, March 6, 9 p.m., $10

Anyone looking for their fix of avant-garde synthpop need look no further than Xiu Xiu’s stop at the The Frequency. The perfect choice for anyone not afraid of weirdness.

The Naked and the Famous, Majestic Theater, March 11, 8:30 p.m., $25

A blend of M83 and CHVRCHES, The Naked and the Famous mixes shoegaze and synthpop to create a grand sound and what will surely be a goose bumps-inducing live show.

Real Estate, Majestic Theater, March 25, 8:30 p.m., $16

By the time you’re checking the dates off your calendar in late March, the weather will most likely have grown warmer. There’s no better complement to this than the sunny sounds of Real Estate.

Red Green, Barrymore Theatre, Apr. 17, 7 p.m., $51

“I’m a man. I can change, if I have to, I guess.” Red Green’s Madison stop is the perfect choice for any duct tape aficionado or Possum Lodge fan.