October movie preview

Johnny Knoxville shares his years of experience with his eight-year-old grandson in “Bad Grandpa.”

The schedule of films arriving in theatres this next month is strong in quality and quantity, and it kick starts the award season race quickly. Coming out earlier might not be a bad idea either: Last year’s Academy Award for Best Picture winner, “Argo,” was released in October, providing plenty of time prior to award shows to build up hype about the film. This October provides thrillers, true stories and a couple of light-hearted comedies, all of which have great potential with audiences and award shows.

Gravity

In theatres Oct. 4

A thriller from director Alfonso Cuarón (“Children of Men”), this film shares the story of an astronaut and medical engineer trying to survive in space following a space accident. Mainstream stars George Clooney (“The Descendants”) and Sandra Bullock (“The Heat”) work together to save their lives and return home safely. Set in outer space, “Gravity” looks to have innovative special effects people and spaceship rubble intertwining in space. The film received universal praise at the 2013 Venice Film Festival in August. Although the film is limited in characters, the story is sure to have audiences on the edge of their seats, holding their breath as Clooney and Bullock try to maintain their breath while adrift in space.

A.C.O.D.

In theatres Oct. 4

Released at the Sundance Film Festival, “A.C.O.D.” is a comedy starring Adam Scott (“Parks and Recreation”) as Carter, an adult child of divorce revisiting his parent’s divorce when his brother gets engaged. The film has an extensive cast including Scott’s “Parks and Recreation” co-star Amy Poehler and Jane Lynch (“Glee”) as the author of a research book on child divorce in which Carter was unknowingly used. The script is written by Stu Zicherman and Ben Karlin, the latter of whom is also a screenwriter for popular TV show “Modern Family” and a University of Wisconsin alumnus. In the midst of numerous drama films, this comedy is worth a trip to the theater for not only its cast, but also its well-written, Madison-style humor.

Captain Phillips

In theatres Oct. 11

“Captain Phillips” is the true story of the an American cargo ship hijacked by Somali pirates in 2009. The ship’s leader, Captain Richard Phillips, held hostage by the pirates, is played by Tom Hanks (“Cloud Atlas”). He appears to portray a seasoned but confused Captain, shocked by the events that occur in the film. Directed by Paul Greengrass, (The “Bourne” Series), the film premiered at the 2013 New York Film Festival where it has received positive reception from critics. Based on the book, “A Captain’s Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALs, and Dangerous Days at Sea” by Phillips—who is also serving as a screenwriter—the film accurately depict Phillips’ experience, creating a not-so common realistic story on the screen.

12 Years a Slave

In theatres Oct. 18

Another film based on a true story, this historical event takes place in the early 1800s. Based on the personal account of Solomon Northup—played by Chiwetel Ejiofor (“Salt”)—“12 Years a Slave” is the story of a free black man from New York who is kidnapped in Washington, D.C. Sold into slavery, he spends 12 years working as a slave on a plantation in Louisiana. The film includes a number of popular stars including Brad Pitt (“World War Z”), Michael Fassbender (“Prometheus”), Paul Dano (“Looper”) and more. In a recent New York Times article, historians proved that in a time where popular historical films such as “Argo” and “Zero Dark Thirty” have presented some inaccuracies, this may not be the case with “12 Years a Slave.” Scholars have found numerous facts in Northup’s account accurate. This might be the truest “true story” in theaters.

The Fifth Estate

In theatres Oct. 18

In this historical film, Benedict Cumberbatch plays WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange in a story about the news-leaking website. The film includes Stanley Tucci (“The Hunger Games”), Laura Linney (“Hyde Park on Hudson”) and David Thewlis (Professor Lupin in the “Harry Potter” series) in a story about one man’s insistence on using the internet a way of providing information to the public sphere, even at the risk of national security. “The Fifth Estate” has been surrounded by controversy, particularly by Assange, who insists the film is nothing but lies. Recently, the film’s script was leaked by WikiLeaks. However, in a film about website dedicated to leaking secrets, that could not have been too surprising.

Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

In theatres Oct. 25

“Bad Grandpa” has no drama, did not premiere at any international film festivals and does not have the most extensive cast. But it does present the story of a grandpa-grandson roadtrip across America in the most humorous way possible. Irving Zisman’s (Johnny Knoxville, “The Last Stand”) eight-year-old Billy is learning plenty of lessons—maybe ones that are not moral but are certainly fun. Written by Jeff Tremaine, Johnny Knoxville and Spike Jonze of “Jackass” fame, “Bad Grandpa” is a film that, based on the number of laughs in the trailer, may be a new cult classic.