Madison’s best hangover cures

We all have our fair share of rough nights while we’re in college. While you may not regret getting plastered and having the time of your life, the hangover to follow will likely be a bit unpleasant. Beat even the toughest of hangovers this semester with some of our favorite spots in Madison.

Mickies Dairy Bar – 1511 Monroe St. 

With traditional diner food, enormous portions and a location one block from Camp Randall, Mickies is a game day must. Breakfast is its specialty and accommodates the latest of sleepers by serving until 3 p.m. on Saturdays and 2 p.m. on Sundays. Your heaping portion of eggs at Mickies should cut through even the craziest combinations of alcohol you recently pounded down. By the same token, greasy hash browns are an excellent way to coat the stomach. Don’t forget to get a cup of coffee with your “morning after” food; it will settle the headache caused by the occasional loud atmosphere of this otherwise quaint, hipster paradise.

Ian’s Pizza
– 100 State St., 319 N. Frances St.

Since cheese and carbs are packed with amino acids, it’s best to chow down on a big slice of greasy pizza at the end of the night to cure your hangover and prevent it from lingering the next day. Ian’s is a UW classic and will meet all your late-night pig-out needs. Its State Street location is open until 2:30 a.m. and its Frances Street location is open until bar time. Ian’s can appeal to just about anyone with a wide range of toppings, from my personal favorite and its bestseller, mac n’ cheese, to BBQ chicken pineapple and portabella pesto. Ian’s accommodates vegetarians and vegans, and can also make pizza with a gluten-free crust. When you and your friends are stumbling around State Street looking for quick, hot food, we suggest you stumble into Ian’s.

Greenbush Bakery – 1305 Regent St.

Not only are donuts the food of the gods every day, but even more so if you have a hangover. These sugary balls of goodness are loaded with fat, sugar and carbs. If you’re trying to avoid the “freshman 15,” they may normally be your nightmare, but they’re essential for curing nausea and fatigue (at least temporarily). Greenbush is well aware of this and is conveniently open until 2 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays and back open at 6 a.m. In case you bought those ladies next to you one too many fishbowls or just wanted to celebrate a difficult week, you’re in luck! Most of the donuts at Greenbush are in the $1 price range, with a half dozen priced at $5 and a full dozen priced at $10. From peanuts to chocolate to fritters to maple glaze, you’re sure to find a flavor that appeals to even the worst hangover.

Qdoba Mexican Grill
– 548 State St., 2 N. Park St.

If you just had way more tequila shots than you intended to, keep the vibe going with some hearty, delicious Mexican food. Burritos and quesadillas are a great way to wrap up a bunch of great hangover foods all in one place. The best burritos to beat nausea and headaches are packed with lots of rice, beans, guacamole and tomatoes, then wrapped up in a carb-filled tortilla. For the most effective treatment, mix with water or soda. While visiting Qdoba in the late hours, wearing a sombrero is not required, but is encouraged. Besides, who doesn’t realize at the end of the night they suddenly want a burrito? Luckily, Qdoba is open until 3 a.m. on State Street and 3:30 a.m. on Park Street.

DLUX
– 117 Martin Luther King Blvd.

With its “Weekend Recovery” menu, DLUX is a classy spot to cure your hangover by the Capitol. This place seems to know better than anyone the best way to feel better after a night of drinking is to, well, keep drinking. Some breakfast specials from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the weekends include $5 mimosas, a $6 DLUX Double Punch and an $8 D.I.Y Bloody Mary bar. This convenient menu also includes fresh donut balls, cheesy sandwiches and a variety of breakfast potatoes. Potatoes are a nice, starchy food that should beat out even the toughest of nausea-inducing booze. Grab your friends, raise your pinky and make a toast to many more alcohol-filled weekends.