Hump Day tackles the best and worst of sex’s “gifts”

Happy hump day, horn balls! Mega thanks for the shout out last time. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know I’m giving out erections in class.

Who is excited for Dan Savage to come to campus!? I know I am! Mr. Savage started off writing his internationally syndicated column, Savage Love, from right here in Madison. You can catch him weekly on The Stranger’s website or listen to the Savage Love podcast online. His book, “It Gets Better,” is available for check-out at campus libraries. Come see him speak in Varsity Hall at Union South on Monday, Nov.19 at 7:30 p.m.! Tickets are free, but required. Pick them up this week at the University Theatre Box office in Vilas Hall.

On to your questions for the week!

My girlfriend of two years has never had an orgasm. We’ve never had penetrative sex, but I get so much pleasure from her and I fear she only sometimes gets pleasure from me. She’s kind of closed minded when it comes to sex and I want to … expose her a bit more. I want to buy a vibrator for her, and I was wondering what kinds would be good?

Well gee, that’s an awfully nice treat to get for your gf! I have to say, I am a bit concerned that she may feel a little sprung on. Especially if she has never considered using a sex toy before – maybe even never seen one in real life – she might be a bit startled when she unwraps the surprise inside!

I am also wondering if it could be a beneficial experience to shop together for that little something special. That could facilitate an intimate, titillating bonding experience that is a shared, mutual activity rather than you taking it upon yourself to add something to her sexual toolbox. Set up some time to shop online – in bed, with the lights low, in your skivvies, randy. Or perhaps take a trip to the local sexuality boutique! A Woman’s Touch out on Willy Street is a wonderful shop for couples to explore together. They love when lovers come in together and there are samples of the toys out so you can turn them on, feel them and imagine playing behind closed quarters.

So, what kinds would be good? Whichever she prefers!

I’ve been getting frequent yeast infections, and my friend told me that lube may be the culprit. Is that true?

Unfortunately, yes. Sad face. Many, many lubes contain glycerin, which is just a fancy word for sugar. Yeast eats sugar to survive, so it can turn a few loner yeastie organisms into a full-blown infectious party.

Good news is that there are some great alternatives on the market that are glycerin free. My personal fave is Liquid Silk, reason one for the super sexy name, reason two because it is seriously silky to the touch. It actually kind of reminds me of what wet pussy feels like. The best part is that it contains an ingredient that may actually be helpful for treating yeast infections. It is “bio-static,” which, according to Liquid Silk’s website, stops infections from spreading. Yay!

Good Clean Love lube is another pretty popular glycerin-free option. It is organic and comes it super fresh, lovey dovey scents like lavender and rose.

Sliquid – just saying it out loud sounds slippery, right? – is a glycerin-free, paraben-free lube that says it is for women, but will work just as well whether you have a vagina or not. They have even got hybrid versions that combine their water and silicone products for long lasting slide without the stains.

Last, BabeLand’s Babelube is super unique because it is a “gelly” lube without the stickiness or sugar. Plus, it comes in a pretty blue bottle.

I have plenty of sex toys, but what I really want is an extra special, cool vibrator for the holidays. Any suggestions?

Yes! I’m hoping Santa will be nice n’ naughty this year and pop one of these under my tree too!

The We-Vibe 3 is said to be the best vibrator for couples, although it can totally be used solo. It’s a C-shaped vibe that curves to fit inside of the vagina and cover the vulva. It has two vibrators that pulse in unison in an orchestrated symphony of pleasure on the g-spot and clitoris. The We-Vibe is wireless, rechargeable and waterproof, and it has plenty of different vibration strengths and settings. But the best part – it can be used during penetrative sex. The inside part is slim enough to slide in snuggly with a penis or dildo. Use your imagination on that one.

There’s also this pretty nifty piece of new-agey technology called OhMiBod. These products can synch to the music of an ipod, some even to the voice of your partner! Talk about jamming to the beat.

Thats all for this week my happy humpers! To have your question answered, give us a shout. Until next time.

Sam is a senior who works at Sex Out Loud, UW’s peer-to-peer sexual
health resource. Email her and the rest of the Hump Day ladies your burning questions at
[email protected].