UW’s Taste of Cultures series vai para o Brasil

Those looking to celebrate Carnival can explore Brazilian culture without having to leave campus by attending Taste of Cultures: Discover Brazil in the Great Hall at Memorial Union Feb. 9.

This event – or rather, party – will feature a slew of examples of Brazilian culture, including music, dancing and food. In addition, it’s free for anyone and everyone to attend and add some cultural excitement to the typical Thirsty Thursday.

“So many of our students do travel abroad, but for those that can’t, this is a free opportunity for people to get a taste of a different culture,” said Katie Wirka, one of the international student advisors overseeing this project.

The event is unique because Brazilian exchange students attending school in Madison organized it themselves. They have been planning since November, voting on what to have at the event to best showcase their home country, of which they are very proud.

Thiago Santos, one of the students, said, “I think it’s really important to have natives [plan the event], so that you can have more authentic food, music – everything.”

The event will kick off with a performance by the Handphibians, a large drumming group that resembles Brazilian baterias, or percussion battery.

“The singer is Brazilian. It’s a really cool group because it’s eclectic,” Wirka said. “It’s people from all walks of life who are just interested in drumming this kind of samba music you hear.” 

Next there will be a PowerPoint presentation representing all five regions of Brazil.

“They are really trying to emphasize the diversity of their country and present it in a way that’s not only educational, but super fun,” Wirka said.

After the presentation, there will be a panel discussion where the audience can ask questions. The panel will be made up of Brazilian students, Brazilian community members and university professors who are more than qualified to answer any question thrown at them. This is an opportunity to learn more about the country and its culture.

After the panel discussion concludes, food will be served. A wide array of dishes will be offered – each of which has passed the Brazilian taste test.

This includes the vegetarian offerings. A soupy bean mixture with pieces of meat in it, called feijoada, will be served with plain white rice. Many traditional Brazilian recipes call for meat, but here the vegetarian dish will replace chicken with apples for a vegetable-loaded dish.

Brigadeiro is being served for dessert. This is an authentic Brazilian bonbon that involves melting condensed milk, cocoa powder and butter together at the perfect temperature to form little bite-sized chocolate balls.

“It’s like a little piece of heaven; it’s really good,” Santos said.

As if the food will not be an experience of its own, traditional samba and capoeira performances will commence while partygoers enjoy their meals.

Cody Jussel from Dance Fabulous is bringing some of her students to perform a few choreographed samba numbers. Later that night, the group will begin teaching the basics of samba to any spectators looking to pick up a fun new skill.

After that, a local capoeira group will be coming to show off their moves and interesting musical sound. Capoeira is a form of martial arts common in Brazil that combines the movements of dance with music.

Once everyone finishes eating and the performances end, party favors will be passed around so that everyone can celebrate Carnival in style.

“We are going to have balloons and confetti. It’s going to be really colorful and happy,” Santos said. “We are using the colors of the Brazilian flag – green, blue and yellow – to decorate.”

At this time, the Handphibians will return to the party to electrify and excite the crowd. Dancing is strongly encouraged, especially if it is newly-learned samba moves.

Wirka summed up the event: “You’ll learn something. You’ll meet people. You’ll dance. You’ll eat. You’ll get to experience things that you do not get on a daily basis.”

Taste of Cultures: Discover Brazil will be held Thursday, Feb. 9 from 6 to 8 p.m. at 800 Langdon St. Admission is free.