Meta-musical mayhem, now playing at Bartell

Raunchy, original and authentic, “Claptrapp, or The Sound of Musicals” captures theatergoers at the Bartell, a local community theater. The show pulls lyrics from over 40 musicals and combines them to create a “non-musical parody of musicals” while following the overarching setting and theme of “The Sound of Music.”

The play originates from the artistic mind of Joe Godfrey and is directed by Scott Albert Bennett from Stage Q.

Musical lovers will be tuned into the dialogue of this non-musical, trying to piece together the origin of the script. Though certain lines in the script may be predictable, vulgarity and a twist on gender roles spice up the performance.

Dan Pietrangelo plays the role of Maria, who is hiding in the convent in order to mask her obviously male gender, of which all the characters are oblivious. However, the convent is not where Maria longs to be. She yearns to express herself sexually and win over Captain Georg von Krapp, played by Edric Johnson.

However, the Captain is stuck in a toxic relationship with a gold-digging, narcissistic French woman by the name of Mademoiselle Jolie Ta-Ta, played by Esther Schwarzbauer. But what Jolie does not know is that Georg is in fact gay.

Maria, who constantly teases Georg with the batting of her eyelashes and the dirty playing of her kazoo, manages to mesmerize him. The Captain’s children also love Maria, which makes it all the easier for them to run away from Austria to America and elope in the progressive state of Vermont, where they plan to adopt more children and live happily ever after.

Katy Conley is masterfully uninhibited in playing both the roles of Georg’s son, Artur von Krapp and Maria’s mentor, Mother Superior. Tim Lom contributes to the dynamic cast by performing as Georg’s son Tina von Krapp and Nazi soldier Klaus Fokker.

The show deftly incorporates various sound effects to hint to the audience that a musical lyric has just been referenced in the script.

Upon entering the theater, every person is given a game sheet to match the lyrical dialogue with the corresponding musical. It became a scavenger hunt of sorts, which keeps audiences engaged and on their toes.

Some of the musicals incorporated include “A Chorus Line,” “Cabaret,” “Annie,” “Guys and Dolls,” “The King and I,” “Dream Girls” and “My Fair Lady.”

This fun factor, combined with a mature audience where dirty jokes and sexual  gestures are welcomed, makes for an unpredictable, yet enjoyable, environment.

The most impressive factor of this performance was how the show was put on with so few props and resources. Although the theater is rather small, there were three hand-painted main backdrops, two chairs, a few musical instruments, five actors and a decent lighting system, with a total of only 16 people involved in the whole production.

Community theaters like this exist because local Madison residents with a passion for acting invest their time into creating a comprehensive show that attracts audiences. This element of passion transfers into the show and makes for an authentic viewing experience.

This show is not exclusive to those who thoroughly know the musicals depicted in the piece, but it is definitely targeted at that group.

That being said, anybody who enjoys raunchy humor, over-exaggerated German accents, supporting local talent and a night of fun will enjoy “The Sound of Musicals” … if they are 18 years or older.

The Bartell is an intimate theater, where every seat in the house is a good seat – that is, of course, if Claptrapp is for you. The theater is inviting and cozy, and located just off of Capitol Square.

Claptrapp plays December 1st-17th. The show is at 7:30 p.m. on Thursdays, 8 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays and at 2 p.m. on Sundays. Tickets can be purchased at www.StageQ.com or by calling (608) 661-9696.