Energizing, happy and a little bit angry

Gildas

Gilda’s Club Madison is part of a worldwide organization providing support to those affected by cancer. Gilda Radner, one of the original members of Saturday Night Live, is the inspiration behind this impactful and prominent organization.

Radner discovered she had ovarian cancer in 1986. While enduring chemotherapy and radiation, she struggled to find support near her home. Upon her death in 1989, Radner’s husband, Gene Wilder, and their friends started the first Gilda’s Club in New York City.

Ever since, Gilda’s Club has spread worldwide, providing a support system and resources to people with cancer and their families.

They offer support groups, mind and body workshops, yoga classes, imagery classes, art therapy and lectures. Members can attend as many workshops as they want for free because all of the instructors donate their time to this worthy cause.

Gilda’s Club Madison opened its doors in 2008, after fundraising and creating awareness for over six years to build a meeting place for the organization. There is warmth to the d?cor and styling of the house that naturally brings a sense of hominess and comfort to all who enter.

Program Director Kirsten Norslien said, “Because of our space, we kind of act like a community center for the cancer world in Madison.”

Unlike other cancer support systems, Gilda’s Club welcomes all types of cancers and all ages of people, and also provides services to their families.

“Statistically speaking, cancer sort of is an older person’s disease, but it is not exclusively an older person’s disease,” Norslien said.

There are many ways that University of Wisconsin students can get involved with Gilda’s Club, whether they have cancer, a loved one has cancer, or they want to volunteer.

“People with a diagnosis need to find a connection, whether it’s coming to a group or a lecture, or getting involved in some of the other things we offer here,” Norslien said.

Oftentimes, the relationships that people establish in therapy turn into lasting friendships that exist outside of Gilda’s Club.

Norslien explained that students, who already deal with the demands of school, may find it overwhelming to try to support someone they love who has cancer. Norslien defines this as “a tricky game.”

And even though Gilda is gone, her fun and optimistic spirit still remain. Most rooms in the house are named after one of Radner’s iconic Saturday Night Live characters like Baba Wawa and Emily Litella. It is a way of honoring her and brightening members’ days, if even just a little bit.

The “There’s Always Something” room is designed for members to use after treatment when they are tired and just want to blow off some steam before they return home to face the struggles of their everyday lives.

Other rooms are set up for therapy and yoga. In addition, there is a teen room with a Ping Pong table and games, as well as a gym and a room called “Noogie Land.”

“Noogie Land” is designed for children whose parents are going through cancer. They can spend time here if their parents are at the hospital or are going to therapy sessions at Gilda’s. There is a colorful mural of Madison on one of the walls, a puppet show station and loads of games.

If one were to tour Madison Gilda’s Club without a clue as to what the organization caters to, they could easily be convinced it is a place purely for having fun.

“Just having that personality and that heart of laughter is great because we recognize how important laughter and community is [for cancer patients],” Norslien said.

The clubhouse is not designed to be a place where everyone is sad together, but rather as an uplifting environment ready to cater to its members needs. Every Gilda’s Club is easily recognizable because of its trademark red front door.

“If you look at color theories, red is energizing. It’s happy, it’s a little bit angry, and when you’ve got cancer and you’re dealing with a lot of stuff, all of those things are totally appropriate,” Norslien said.

Madison is the second smallest market with a Gilda’s Club, yet the local branch has an astounding 1,400 members, over 230 volunteers, a few part-time staffers and three full-time staff members.

“Volunteers do everything. They help with socials, fundraisers, we have volunteer greeters at the door, volunteer administration. You name it – our volunteers are doing it,” Norslien said.

Board member and volunteer Darren Fortney raised over $35,000 for Gilda’s Club Madison in the past four years alone.

“I guess I volunteer because I’m a cancer survivor myself. I had cancer when I was in college actually, down at UW,” Fortney said.

Fortney has run two 135-mile ultra-marathons through the heart of Death Valley, and through three mountain ranges in temperatures of about 125 degrees Fahrenheit, to raise money for the organization.

He also organizes an annual event called “Gills for Gilda,” a 6-mile long swim that ends at the Memorial Union Terrace.

The majority of contributions Fortney received for these fundraising events were less than $100 each, proving there are no limitations to what a courageous individual with a worthy cause can do.

Gilda’s Club Madison has an ongoing list of events to raise money and increase awareness, including runs and walks, concerts, golf outings, Christmas parties and wine tasting downtown, to name a few.

They welcome third party events and always seem to have something going on, thanks to the hard-working staff and volunteers.

All of the money raised stays in Madison and goes directly toward those who need it, not only keeping the organization alive, but also allowing it to thrive and reach as many people as possible.

There is always more room for members and volunteers to join Gilda’s Club Madison. To find out more information about getting involved, go to www.gildasclubmadison.org