AM Taxi to play at Madison’s the Loft Friday PM

There is always something to be said for controlling your own destiny.

Rather than let others control their fate, members of Chicago punk band AM Taxi took a step in early February that would have brought most to their knees: They walked out on their major label contract with Virgin Records.

Front man Adam Krier explained the move in an interview with The Badger Herald, in preparation for AM Taxi’s show at The Loft Friday night in Madison.

“We got together in 2007 over the summer – starting playing gigs,” he said. “We signed in early 2009 with Virgin. It was all pretty quick.”

Things took a turn for the worse, however, shortly after.

“We went out and recorded the record,” Krier said. “But they didn’t put it out for about a year after that. They had to set it up right, or whatever it is.”

The band’s album, We Don’t Stand a Chance, was released in June 2010. A blend of classic punk mixed with a slight reggae flavor, the band supported the record by spending the summer on Warped Tour. According to Krier, however, “things started to get a little strange with EMI [Virgin’s parent company] and Virgin” shortly after.

“People started thinking they were losing their jobs, and things came to a standstill,” Krier said. “We were just sitting around and were probably going to get dropped in a few months. We chose to get out on our own terms while we could.”

After months of legal wrangling, the band ended up leaving the label. They did not, however, depart on anyone’s terms but their own.

“We ended up leaving with owning all our masters, artwork and video. We left with everything we wanted to, and it worked out OK,” Krier said.

AM Taxi was released from its contract earlier this year, and with their newfound freedom the band began to operate as they had in the past: placing an emphasis on connecting with fans though free access to music and personalized updates.

“As soon as we got away from Virgin and EMI, the first thing we did that we previously weren’t allowed to do was give away free music,” Krier said.

The band’s first free release was a cover of the Sex Pistols’ classic, label-trashing song, “EMI.” Since then, they have put up regular free content on their website, www.amtaximusic.com. Now, sans label, Krier and the others are doing things their own way, including recording new music the way they see fit.

They are currently touring the Midwest with another punk outfit, the Architects. Krier is excited about playing a venue as unique as The Loft.

“It’s a different environment than we’re used to,” he said, “but it’s good to change things up now and then.”

Free of restrictions, the band is test-driving new material and plans to play some on its current tour. As for what happens after, only time will tell. AM Taxi is, however, excited to be in control of their own future.

“I think we’re right in the middle of something and have been for a while. Sometime in the next year or two it will land somewhere where things make sense,” Krier said. “People who love writing and performing music are just going to keep doing it no matter what circumstances are involved.”

AM Taxi will play at The Loft in Madison Friday at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10.