Have your candy and eat it too: tips for a healthy Halloween

Well folks, it is time for the holiday that generates the highest candy sales: Halloween. Now I know for many of you trick-or-treating is not on the menu, but care packages from home, Halloween candy commercials or those daunting candy isles at the convenience store may have you going cuckoo for chocolate. When cravings are through the roof, the only thing we can really do is find a way to have our candy and eat it too. That, my friends, is why I am here. I will provide you with the some of the most popular candies on the market and ways to burn them off (all calculations are based on an average weight of 150 pounds).

First off is the good old Milk Chocolate Hershey’s bar. One regular size bar has 210 calories, 13 grams of fat, of which 8 are saturated, and 24 grams of sugar. You can always opt for Hershey’s Kisses or Hugs instead, which only have 7 grams of saturated fat per 9 pieces, unless, of course, you are not the touchy-feeling type. Walking at a brisk pace for about 40 minutes, which seems to be about the average time we spend walking to class each day, should burn those chocolate-covered calories right off.

Up next is Butterfinger. This has 270 calories per 60 gram bar with a total of 11 grams of fat, 6 grams of saturated fat and of 29 grams of sugar. Burn it off with 30 minutes of touch football or a moderately-paced run around campus.

Starburst? Don’t mind if I do. With 240 calories per package, these are high in calories and packed with sugar (30 grams) but have less fat: 5 grams total, 4.5 grams saturated. We might tell ourselves we will just have a couple, but before we know it the pack is gone. What to do? One, wish we had more Starbursts, and two, take the stairs. Walking up stairs instead of taking an elevator will not only burn more calories over the course of the day, but it will help strengthen your legs and tone your butt.

Next, Skittles. We can definitely taste the rainbow, and man, does it taste good. With 31 grams of sugar, Skittles are certainly a sucrose kick in the pants, but with 170 calories per package and just 2 grams of saturated fat, they are one of the “better” candy choices. Burn them off with 30 minutes of weight lifting and 15 minutes of calisthenics while you watch your favorite show.

Damn you, H. B. Reese, for making peanut butter and chocolate taste so good. Two mouthwatering Reese’s peanut butter cups have 210 calories, 13 grams of fat and 21 grams of sugar, but only 4.5 grams saturated fat. Although the peanut butter does provide 5 grams of protein, Reese’s are not a healthy way to fulfill your intake for the day. But Box Blast or Zumba, both offered at the Southeast Recreational Facility, will burn about twice as many calories!

Why, yes, I am hungry, thank you for asking. Snickers have a total of 280 calories per bar, 14 grams of fat of which 5 are saturated and 30 grams of sugar. Head on down to State Street for a couple hours of shopping to burn it off, and get your Halloween costume while you are at it.

Twix bars are up next with 260 calories, 12 grams of fat, 9 grams saturated fat and 24 grams of sugar. While you might not want to stuff a whole bar in your mouth at once like the commercials, you can definitely enjoy a package without apprehension. An hour of leisurely biking burns about 270 calories, and you could easily accomplish this by getting some friends together and taking a bike trip to Picnic Point.

M&M’s have been one of the country’s top selling candy for years, so it is no surprise that they are always a big hit this time of year. One original, chocolate package has 240 calories, 10 total grams of fat, 6 grams saturated fat and 31 grams of sugar. Scorch them off by playing a game of pickup basketball at the SERF. You will melt away 240 or more calories and, more importantly, get a great heart-conditioning workout.

Last, but certainly not least on the list, is candy corn. Whether you love it or you hate it, it is the healthiest on the list for popular Halloween candy. 20 pieces of Brach’s brand has only 150 calories. They contain 33 grams of sugar, but guess what the best part is? No fat! With about half the calories of other candy and not one drop of saturated fat in sight, candy corn is a great option to satisfy that sweet tooth (and if you’re anything like me, yours is the size of a saber-toothed tiger’s). Hit Union South for a bowling night with friends, skipping the battered fries or cheese curds of course, and you won’t even notice you’re exercising.

All sweets are perfectly fine to eat, but moderation is the key. Most of the listed options also come in mini or fun sizes, which are obviously better options. It is important that you do not use the consumption of sweets as a sole reason for exercise. Physical activity should be done daily to improve your overall physical and mental health. There are many ways to get that blood pumping while still enjoying yourself, so have your candy and eat it too!

Jenny Slattery is a sophomore majoring in journalism. Want a healthier lifestyle? Send questions and comments to her at [email protected].