Prepare to get rowdy at pop rock romp with Ra Ra Riot

ra-ra-riot-3
Ra Ra Riot, the indie-rocking sextet hailing from Syracuse, have quickly garnered a reputation and exuberant following for their sonic cocktail of reveling vocals, expressive string accompaniments and even more energetic live performances.[/media-credit]

Unengaged and distracted is one way to put it. Tired, stopped at a gas station to answer questions understandably isn’t the best scenario for an engaging interview and you get what you can with what you have to work with for the pithy sentences, composed pretty much of “yes” and “no” responses.

To gauge the disconnect between interviewer and musician, it was merited to eventually ask Ra Ra Riot’s cellist’s sentiments on the music business. “It depends on the person. I’m not too interested in the business aspect,” Alexandra Lawn said.

An interview is just one of the necessary evils for a musician that could care less about the press and business side of the music industry, and it’s a common pervading sentiment among artists, similar to studying for a chapter that you absolutely hate in your favorite class. We’ve all been there.

“So interviews and finances and all that stuff are something that has to be done”? I asked.

“Yea,” Lawn responded.

Only if managers and PR reps were the public face of the band.

Ra Ra Riot was born in Syracuse University, starting out with college house parties and as supporting acts at the petite and congested Funk ‘N’ Waffles stage, until they graduated to becoming the darlings of SXSW. Several years later, the sextet is headlining their own shows to sold out venues, while touring Japan to the UK, Germany, Austria and Belgium.

You couldn’t blame them if in their own minds, they’ve sold out. They’ve traveled to just about every corner of the world and met just about every single person. But, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and soon overlook this one slip up, because Ra Ra Riot’s addicting pop rock romp is a riot live.

The fan’s testaments to the sparks kindled by the chemistry of Ra Ra Riot’s stage presence and forceful acts are a saving grace. Their self-professed genre on MySpace states, “Healing & Easy Listening” but for having chosen the band name Ra Ra Riot, you can come to the justified conclusion that to an extent, the epitome of this band is a living, breathing oxymoron.

“I think it was kind of funny to put that. A while ago we changed some things to make it funny,” Lawn recounted when asked about their stated genre.

But Wes Miles’s raw but naive, even innocent, vocals frees the mind of impurities, allowing you to bask in the beautiful falsetto and vibrato. It may be more than just humorous. Maybe it’s the truth. Backing Miles are the interjections of guitar and drum high hats occasionally strung through synthesizers, balanced by the classical string instruments that soften the current trend of the forceful metallic crashing and banging typical of the pop rock-cum-techno genre these days.

They will be headlining what should be a great show at the Majestic, but the chemistry between fans and Ra Ra Riot may not exist.

What should you expect?

“Um, hopefully whatever they’re expecting they can get. I don’t know. I hope they have fun,” Lawn said.

This should only pose a problem if you really care for trivialities, because really, you’re paying to watch them. Besides, they’re giving you the freedom to be the judge of Ra Ra Riot with the mere hope that you have fun.

Ra Ra Riot will be performing at the Majestic Theatre Thursday, April 14 with the Generationals. Tickets are $15 in advance and $17 at the door. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. and the show starts at 8:30 p.m.