Although it’s Friday, Tasty Thursday offers deli delights

As finals week approaches and my days become more and more jam-packed with projects to finish and papers to write, I’m craving quick, easy and satisfying foods more than ever. A nice grab-and-go lunch is just what we all need this time of year, and roaming State Street looking for the most appealing place to grab a quick bite is an oft-daunting task when all your mind wants to do is procrastinate, watch Lifetime movies in bed and stress about all the work you need to do. Most of the time, I wind up walking up and down State three times, deciding I’m not even hungry and going home to ponder over what to eat for at least another hour.

To fix this cycle of procrastination that happens at every mealtime, you can A) prepare your fridge with tasty lunchtime treats that you won’t have to think twice before eating, or B) stop by a place where you’ll be forced to take your food to go. In keeping with true Tasty Thursday form, though, you’ll still want these lunchtime solutions to be of the gourmet variety. Several reputable deli counters exist in Madison, with a wide variety of specialty foods to be found — from simple, yet refined pasta salads to gourmet meats and cheeses that are the perfect choices to save your time and brainpower. Stop by one of these delightful delis and stock up on some specialty foods that are sure to make your finals week a little bit tastier.

Willy Street Co-op

The Willy Street Co-op is an enjoyable grocery shopping destination in its own right, with a huge selection of natural and organic products, super-fresh produce and an in-store juice bar where you can get made-to-order smoothies, juices, hot teas or coffee drinks. It’s the deli, though, that makes the Willy Street Co-op one of my favorite places in Madison to find ready-made grub with good ingredients. With a long list of sandwiches and wraps to choose from — The Willy Street Ruben stands out as a favorite — a huge salad bar and a hot and cold deli counter filled with unique, made-from-scratch salads and dishes, the Willy Street Co-op’s deli is hard to beat. Try one of this month’s specials — the Asparagus Potato Salad for comfort food with a crunch — or pick up one of the delicious homemade dishes from the hot deli counter for a heartier meal. Many of the dishes offered are vegetarian and vegan, and locally grown or crafted ingredients are used whenever possible. In fact, all of the dairy products that the Willy Street Co-op uses in its deli creations come from Wisconsin.

Fraboni’s Italian Specialties & Delicatessen

Fraboni’s on Regent Street is a “Madison tradition” and a fun stop if you’re looking to eat something authentically Italian. Their deli counter serves up a number of homemade, Italian-inspired pasta salads, but they also offer a huge selection of imported olives, several types of feta cheese and cured meats and sausages. Fraboni’s is known for its deli sandwiches, especially the Meatball sub, which is smothered in Fraboni’s homemade tomato sauce and topped with freshly grated Parmesan. Its location and sandwiches are two equally good reasons to stop by Fraboni’s on a quick study break for a tasty bite to eat.

Brennan’s Market

Brennan’s Market may not be located on campus, but it’s worth the short drive or bus ride up University Avenue if you get the chance. Originating in nearby Monroe, Wisconsin, Brennan’s has grown into a Southern Wisconsin staple for fresh produce, local cheeses and hand-selected wines, microbrews and other specialty items. The produce section of Brennan’s is impressive in terms of wide selection and freshness, and if you’re looking for local cheese, there is no better place to shop. Inside Brennan’s on University is another Madison original, Jacobson Brothers Meats and Deli, which serves up some of Madison’s favorite deli delights. Their homemade potato salad cannot be beat in its perfect balance between creamy and tangy or comforting and earth-shattering. It’s not to be taken lightly and would make a perfect go-to snack any time of the year.

MacTaggart’s

Hidden among the frat and sorority houses on Langdon Street is our campus’ very own MacTaggart’s Market and Deli. Half convenience store, half sandwich mecca, MacTaggart’s (actually located on Lakelawn Place) serves pre-made or made-to-order subs that trump any other sub sandwich you can find within a five mile radius. The sandwiches are made with savory Boar’s Head Brand meats and soft, fresh breads, and the perfect ratio of crunchy, fresh toppings to meat makes a MacTaggart’s sub the most satisfying way to fuel your studies. They also serve a few types of pasta salads, soups of the day and a myriad of other things to fill their deli case, but make no mistake — the sandwiches are king. Its proximity to College and Memorial Library also makes MacTaggart’s an obvious choice for finalsweek noshing.

If you can’t make it to one of these deli counters before finals week creeps up on you, keep in mind that deli grub also makes for perfect picnic fare. As soon as you’re free from schoolwork, get a blanket, pick up some quick dishes at one of these local favorites and celebrate summer!

Elin Amundson is a senior majoring in history and philosophy. Comments and suggestions can be sent to [email protected].