Uncovering some of Madison’s brightest hidden foodie gems

A real foodie knows the most exciting foods to be found often lay under the radar. Truly excellent restaurants abound in Madison, the city with the most restaurants per capita, but even the most well-known and acclaimed of these aren’t necessarily the be-all end-all of delicious dining. In my opinion, the very best kind of restaurant is one that goes undetected by the masses — a little hole in the wall that, if given the chance, can blow your mind with its unassuming mastery of gastronomy. It’s the hidden gems like these that make eating a real adventure, and Madison’s food scene boasts an array of relatively unknown restaurants that could beat out the big names in any contest. Here’s a list of a few favorites that I’ve stumbled upon in my journeys.

Mediterranean Caf?

While this little State Street jewel seems obvious to me, I’m shocked by the number of people I’ve talked to who have never stepped foot inside of Med Caf?. To those people: you’re missing out. The perpetual line out the door during lunching hours and the savory smells that wafts out on any given day are testaments to the wonderfully authentic fare that Med Caf? serves. The selective hours, cheap food and dedicated clientele this restaurant boasts make it a shining example of hidden perfection. The always-packed interior seats only a handful of people, but the long line is worth the wait — the juicy, aromatic lamb plate is the stuff dreams are made of, and the freshness of their tabouli can’t be beat. While you’re there, take my recommendation and be sure to try their Arabic tea — this little gem, mysteriously sweet and perfect in flavor, is the best thing $1 can buy you.

New Orleans Takeout

Located right across the street from Camp Randall on Regent Street, this takeout-only location gives us Yankees the chance to eat some true New Orleans style cookin.’ Offering all the best of Creole cuisine — from hearty po’boy sandwiches to Jambalaya to Shrimp Etouffee — New Orleans Takeout is a stop that must be made before you’re done eating out in Madison. The fried oysters are a safe and delicious way to dip your feet into the art of oyster eating, and Jim’s Crabcakes are perhaps the tastiest and most underrated item on the menu. Be sure you’re ready for some true southern kick when you eat the dirty rice, because its spiciness will make you sweat in a good way. Even the standard red beans and rice is uniquely flavorful and pleasing. As an added bonus, homemade, honey-sweet cornbread comes with every meal.

Natt Spil

I may be run out of town by the hipsters for disclosing the location of this super-trendy joint, but it’s too good not to make it onto the list of hidden gems. Perhaps the most “hidden” of all the restaurants on this list, Natt Spil has no phone number, no website and no exterior signage. You truly have to know what you’re looking for if you’re to stumble in to this mini King Street bar/restaurant. The cozy and dimly lit yet warm interior make for a perfect late night stop, and the extensive and unique drink menu is exciting for the 21+ crowd. The food is what makes Natt Spil a gem, though. A small but diverse menu that changes often includes favorites such as: cherry wood roasted pork Sammie, savory Three Cup Chicken and a number of homemade wood-fired pizzas. Try the Greek Goddess pizza — a crisp and light crust with feta, tomato and artichoke hearts that is the perfect snack for late-night noshing. Don’t come here with a large group (there’s not enough room), get here before the DJ starts spinning to find a place to sit and make sure you bring cash — no credit cards are accepted at this “almost-nonexistent” but very noteworthy restaurant.

Macha Teahouse

Located in a house-turned art gallery-turned tea lounge on Monroe Street, Macha is my favorite place to spend a quiet afternoon. The Zen-inducing atmosphere makes Macha a perfect place to study or socialize, and the ridiculously knowledgeable staff will turn tea drinking into an educational experience, if you’re interested. The tea served at Macha is the real deal with thousands of years of tradition included. Several teas from around the world are available, and while food isn’t the focus of Macha, they do offer a small menu of light Asian fare. Their deliciously fluffy steamed buns are warm and satisfying, and the Donburi rice bowl, consisting of Jasmine rice, scallions, celery, mushrooms, bok choy and garnished with black sesame is spicy and clean — a celebration of textures that, paired with some traditional Japanese green tea, is a time-tested meal of purity and wellness. Don’t avoid the mini baked goods, either. Exotic flavors such as cardamom, basil and green tea pair surprisingly well with sweetness, and the tiny treats go perfectly with afternoon tea.

The Plaza

I can’t talk about hidden gems (or hole-in-the-wall dining joints) without mentioning The Plaza, or as I like to call it, the Best Bar in Madison. Sure, the walls are still wood-paneled from probably the 1970s, and from the outside it looks like your run-of-the-mill, dumpy townie bar. But The Plaza is so much more than that. The sign outside boasting the “World Famous Plazaburger” is no lie — try a Plazaburger for only $3.75; you won’t be disappointed. They have a jukebox, they’re “world famous” for a surprisingly tasty, cheap burger and their walls are wood-paneled. It has all the markings of a true “diamond in the rough.” Ahh,..The Plaza.

These places all boast a big serving of authenticity, unlike some of the most well-known restaurants in Madison. Of course, there are still a few hidden gems that even I’m not willing to share… you’ll just have to get out there and do some exploring yourself.

Elin Amundson is a senior majoring in history and philosophy. Comments and suggestions can be sent to [email protected].