Lifehouse’s new album proves to be more than ‘Smoke and Mirrors’

Lifehouse
The album is split between two different sounds, and that may mean listeners only like one half or the other.[/media-credit]

Lifehouse is back and stronger than ever. Its new album, Smoke and Mirrors is similar to its previous style but not without some new sounds as well — the album still has a rock edge, but it is packed with those emotional lyrics the band has been famous for since its first hit “Hanging By a Moment.”

The album as a whole is well put together and a great choice to throw on and listen to straight through, as the songs play off each other nicely. The opening track “All In” starts off slowly and escalates nicely to a rock chorus that will get you pumped up for the rest of the album. There is nice balancing of softer and louder beats throughout the songs that creates a nice variety and keeps the listener paying attention.

However, many of the songs just don’t have the hook that makes you want to play them over and over. If that is what you’re looking for, check out the aforementioned “All In” and “Halfway Gone.” Both have catchy choruses and a good upbeat feel. If you are looking for something slower, “From Where You Are” is a love song that sounds just like the Lifehouse of its first album No Name Face. And “It Is What It Is” is a nice slow down with some great piano music.

Sounding almost like The Fray or OneRepublic here, they are clearly trying some new things. Other experiments include “Here Tomorrow Gone Today,” which sounds much more pop than expected out of a rock band, and almost like something you’d hear behind a Lady Gaga track. “Smoke and Mirrors” also is trying something new, or rather something old with a classic old school rock vibe.

The album has a lot to offer but most listeners will probably only relate to about half. With the tracks split up between two sounds, most will gravitate to either the heavier rock or the slow and soft love songs. If you like both these sides of the band the album will be a hit, but if not, you may want to pick and choose which songs to buy. Although if you are only going to buy one song, skip the first single, “Halfway Gone,” and pick up “It Is What It Is.” This has the true sound and soul of Lifehouse and is a sound hopefully they continue to pursue in the future with more albums.

It seems like the band had a lot of fun making this record, trying new things but staying true to its classic sound. The variety offers something for everyone. Although you may not love the whole album, you will definitely be able to find one or two songs you appreciate.

3 stars out of 5.