Daughtry takes arena tour to town

Chris Daughtry may not have won “American Idol,” but that didn’t stop him from climbing the charts since he was booted from the show. Then again, recent seasons have proved you don’t necessarily have to win the title of “American Idol” to win yourself a career. Chris Daughtry was only the fourth runner-up, and yet was easily one of the most successful singers from his season.

In 2006, Daughtry created a band known simply as Daughtry and collaborated with four other talented musicians to create a fun rock album. In an interview with The Badger Herald, Josh “JP” Paul, Daughtry’s bassist, explained what drew him to want to work with the “American Idol” finalist and what makes Daughtry such a kickass band.

“I got a phone call from someone who asked if I wanted to go in and meet with Chris and jam out,” Paul said. “I really didn’t know who Chris was because I hadn’t seen him on ‘American Idol,’ but a couple of friends I knew from bands were blown away by his voice.”

The easygoingness of Paul and Daughtry’s jam fest comes across in their rock music as well. It’s not hard to believe Daughtry’s music doesn’t stick to one specific genre but includes a wide array of the members’ favorites.

“We’re just a rock band. I think we try to write good songs that we love and hopefully it appeals to everyone. … There is a lot of different songs (on the album) — we just wanted to each be able to put in our own perspective on this,” Paul said.

Daughtry’s Leave This Town includes country, light rock and even some hardcore rock. What really makes the band’s ability to create so many different types of music is their respect and admiration for each other. Although they came together as strangers to form Daughtry, they now feel like family.

“One of the great things is, No. 1, that we’re all friends and we all get along and we’re like brothers,” Paul said. “We’re out here having fun and able to play all this music, but we enjoy each other.”

Unlike other rockers, Daughtry doesn’t quite embody the hard-rocker stereotype. Most of the band members have family and just want to continue to make good music.

“I think that as a band we each have so many different instances, and it comes together in kind of a cool way,” he said. “And, on the other hand, we’re all just normal guys and we’re pretty accessible.”

Normal guys who get to tour the country nonstop. Being able to tour with their closest friends, travel around America and rock out almost every night is all in a day’s work for Daughtry. But as Paul explained, this show won’t be your typical concert.

“(The concert’s) gonna be pretty much pure awesome. We have a very, very big, cool production. It’s our first time headlining arenas, and we’re playing a lot longer sets. We have a bunch of songs from the first record and a lot from the new record and a lot of cool lights. It’s gonna be a kick-butt rock party,” Paul said.

After being on nonstop tour since 2006, it doesn’t seem that Daughtry is ready to slow down anytime soon either.

“We just want to continue what we’re doing: make more music, do more records,” he said. “Our ultimate goal is to have some longevity in the music business. We all love doing what we do and want to continue to do it.”

Daughtry will be performing at the Alliant Energy Center Saturday, Oct. 24, at 7:30 p.m. General admission is $41.50.