Year of style draws reflection

Well, it's hard to believe that my first year of writing a weekly fashion column is officially over. It's been an unforgettable and amazing experience! I appreciate all of your feedback and for taking a chance on going through this first year with me. I learned a lot though this process, the first being that there really is more to style than just clothes alone — a point that I was always adamant about expressing, but was never really able to reference from firsthand standpoint.

If I take anything away from this year, to strengthen the next year's column, it's that each individual has a sense of style that is based heavily on emotion and experience.

I highlighted early on that so much more goes into what we wear than meets the eye. We make the choice to dress a certain way for a specific reason. I'd hope that from reading my column, you were able to choose what those, sometimes subconscious, reasons may be. We are only able to watch our sense of style mature and evolve when we are able to understand and identify its weaknesses.

Style is a reflection of life in clothing, and anything that heightens our senses makes an impact on it. Love, life, travels, color, scenery, ideology, what we read and witness — it all changes us and shapes our sense of style.

I have always been a strong advocate for natural beauty from the inside out. I don't believe that a shirt can make you more beautiful or that four-inch heels can raise your confidence. Clothing is a reflection of who were are, and even more commonly, who we want to be.

In the same way that expression "You cannot love anyone else until you love yourself" stands true, you cannot display beauty on the outside until you feel beautiful on the inside.

While well-cut, well-made and well-designed clothing can accentuate your natural radiance, it cannot cover up your true sense of self. You are who you are and no amount of Juicy Couture sweatpants can change that. Your freckles, toes, nose, legs and hair are yours, and clothing can only highlight such when you learn to appreciate every inch of your skin.

The same is true of any material goods. Anything tangible can only be influential, but it will never and can never be you. My whole life, I have been criticized for wanting to work within the fashion industry; I've been told that I'm wasting myself, that I'm "too smart" to subject myself to such "fluff." I have been asked repeatedly why I would want to be part of an industry that makes people feel bad about themselves.

I don't see it that way.

To me, fashion is like art. Some understand its beauty, some don't; some appreciate it for what it is, while others criticize it for what it isn't. While the technique of execution might change over time, the basic, classic principles hold, and when done correctly, the spirit of both the artist and the onlooker shows through.

Clothing may never cure cancer, but that doesn't mean it isn't noteworthy. It has been and will continue to be an aspect of life and an ever-growing industry. Outsiders may never have an insider's eye. They may never see fashion as I do, never understand the psychological aspect that is present in an individual's personal style perspective. But that is why I chose to write and choose to continue to write this column.

I firmly believe that within the fibers woven within each and every garment, there is more than just yarn — love, life, travels, color, scenery, ideology. There is something mysterious and alluring about why we are the way we are and why we choose to dress a certain way and be a certain type of person. I write from a detective's point of view, and while speculation, opinion and bias inevitably come into play, as long as you read keeping that in mind, then there is nothing wrong with that.

Next semester, I hope that I will have even more information and knowledge to provide you. I am spending my summer interning under the fashion editor at a Newport Beach fashion and arts magazine, so I plan to take careful notes on everything I learn.

In the fall, I also want to write more designer-focused articles and include some interviews, as well.

It has been a pleasure writing for you and a truly invaluable experience, which I encourage anyone interested in writing to try. On an end note, I encourage you to challenge yourself this summer by dressing exactly how you want to — trends, friends, everything else aside. Be who you are, and discover your own personal style. I'll see you all next fall. Have a great break!

Sydney Burdick is a freshman intending to major in fashion journalism. What does your wardrobe say about your personality? Let Sydney know. Direct your fashion questions or comments to [email protected].