Black Keys energize Majestic crowd

A sold-out crowd packed into Club Majestic Monday, eager for a night of music from the Black Keys — and the Ohio band certainly did not disappoint, rocking the King Street venue with an energetic set fans, both new and old, could enjoy.

The stage floor was literally packed, making standing room even all the way back at the bar hot and uncomfortable. However, no one seemed to mind, as Dan Auerbach and Patrick Carney provided more than an hour of loud, high-energy blues licks. From opening to close, the duo had a thunderous intensity about them, while avoiding any hint of redundancy. The result was a high-powered and exciting show, proving to those in attendance that this band simply rocks.

As soon as Auerbach and Carney took the stage and opened with the title track from Thickfreakness, it was obvious that the band came to play. It was refreshing to know that a band such as the Black Keys has not let their recent success and rising popularity become a distraction to their music.

Their set included plenty of songs from all four of their major albums, showing off with new tracks from Magic Potion and dipping into their more seasoned material with songs such as "Breaks" from the older The Big Come Up. Both members of the band seemed excited to be in Madison; Dan jumped all over the stage, while Patrick broke drumsticks on numerous occasions.

The duo played plenty of songs off of Rubber Factory, the album that first brought the band significant success, including "Grown So Ugly," "Stack Shot Billy," "Girl is On My Mind," and "10 A.M. Automatic." If anything, it was surprising that the Black Keys did not play as much from their newest album, Magic Potion. Still, it was a well-balanced show that was never predictable or boring.

In addition to the music, the venue at the Majestic was perfect. Despite the club's rough reputation, the show was full but completely under control. The stage and floor are unique and have a lot of character, and the whole atmosphere really seemed fitting for a Black Keys show.

The band brought with them an interesting light show that wasn't too overwhelming, adding another crowd-pleasing aspect to the show. Bright white lights were appropriately synchronized to many songs, which made Dan's loud riffs and Patrick's crashing breaks all the more captivating.

Ultimately, the Black Keys showed up in Madison to do exactly what they excel at, and that is to provide loud blues rock. The duo certainly did not let down, and if anything, their live show makes their studio work seem subdued and conservative.