Area venues provide memorable times

After living in Madison the last four years, working at The Badger Herald for the last three (mainly for the city beat) and interning at Madison Magazine, it’s pretty safe to say that I’ve fallen in love with Madison. Not only is UW the best university in the Midwest, but Madison is among the best places to live, too. It’s no big-city Chicago, but it’s on an island (or an isthmus, rather) by itself … in the best way possible.

Over the past four years, I’ve realized how lucky we are to be able to live in such an amazing city during our college career. From the Terrace to State Street to Lake Mendota to Willy Street to Monroe to Langdon to Library Mall to Camp Randall … the list goes on. And while the young’uns are just closing in on their first year and juniors will soon be starting up their last, I have one word of advice — take advantage of it. Take advantage of Madison. And for the love of God, stay every summer you can.

Here are some places you have to see and things you need to do before graduation, whenever that may be. As May approaches, the warm weather hopefully sticks and summer lovin’ starts to bloom, I would say the following are the best places to take a date on campus … but, hey, you could also check them out with your friends. And if you’re lucky, the warm weather will last a few weeks into the school year next year, so if you won’t be here this summer, check ’em out in September.

Madison secrets

1. The Pier Bar & Cafe at the Edgewater

The Edgewater just looks like a really big nice hotel from the outside, but did you know that if you go inside through the lobby and take the elevator down, you will end up on a little pier on Lake Mendota with patio tables, a bar and some cheap, good food? I know! It’s awesome. You get a panoramic view of the lake, you get to watch the sunset with your date (super romantic) and they have good blended drinks and pier food all under $10. It’s a win-win situation under the blue-and-white umbrellas, and it won’t break the bank. I recommend making this a drinks-and-appetizer kind of date, and make sure to catch the sunset. For a minute, it might actually seem like you’re in Florida.

2. The “Beer Garden” at the Great Dane

“Beer Garden” is in quotes because the title is deceiving. When I think “beer garden,” I think “The Taste of (insert city here)” with a big tent, plastic cups and overpriced beer. But this is anything but a typical beer garden. Walk to the back of the Great Dane and take the stairs down to the lower level, and there it is: tall, ivy-covered walls, tables draped in white cloths and candles. And the best part: really good beer. If that isn’t enough for you, their food is also great and not that expensive. I recommend dinner and a beer here, as their dinner menu is larger and better than their lunch menu. It’s extra romantic if you are in the garden when it’s dark outside.

Extreme dates

1. Kayaking at James Madison Park

The best place to be in the summer is on Lake Mendota and one way to get on that lake is to rent a kayak. Depending on how long you want to lock your legs into a banana boat, you can plan on spending about $20 for the date. Just head on over to the rental building in the park. The best part is, kayaking doesn’t require a lot of experience. My roommates and I were able to paddle all the way to the Terrace and even file into a row, hook up with our paddles and chill in the sun for a while. Watch out for the spiders in the kayaks, though. Ick.

2. Picnic Point

If you haven’t been all the way to the tip of Picnic Point — get there. You can walk, run, bike, whatever. You can even drive your car to the entrance, but then you avoid the nice walk along the Lakeshore Path from Memorial Union. There are some picnic tables, even a little beach, and during the fall you can hear the band practicing in the afternoons across the lake. Just think: a nice long walk to the tune of “On Wisconsin” and “If You Wanna Be a Badger.” How Wisconsin. So whether you bond over a run, take a romantic walk or pack a picnic lunch (does anyone do that anymore?), Picnic Point is the perfect place.

The triple threat: dinner, drinks, dessert

1. The Crave Restaurant and Lounge

The Crave is known for its martinis, but I can’t tell enough people — the food is amazing! And it’s not that expensive. You can get full meals for under $30 and burgers for under $10. As if the choice of sides (like sweet potato fries) wasn’t enough, you also get your choice of an obscene amount of really yummy martinis (I recommend the French martini, but watch out — the slice of pineapple is like a shot of alcohol). And to top it all off, you can get a scrumptious dessert, including my favorite, tiramisu. If you’re feeling too classy after all that, you can walk across the street to the Plaza and get a pitcher. Now that’s Wisconsin.

So, there you have it — some great Madison originals. And the great thing about Madison is that it’s always changing. I want to go on a date to Fresco, the rooftop restaurant at the top of the brand new Madison Museum of Contemporary Art which opened Sunday. And I need to hit up some Madison oldies like Concerts on the Square this summer for a picnic and some wine on the lawn of the Capitol. But as summer comes to an end, you will find me at the Terrace. Someone is going to have to peel me off of the sunburst chairs and pry the Memorial Union pitcher from my hand when it’s time for me to start a real job in Chicago. On Wisconsin.

Aubre Andrus is a senior majoring in journalism and communication arts. She is graduating in two weeks and will miss Madison, UW and Bucky. She can be reached at [email protected].