Local store puts fashion in context

The new kids on the block are definitely hot. Being only three months old, Context has great clothes and an even greater philosophy on men's fashion.

Although ignored by many college men daily, fashion is not exempt from exploration. As a heterosexual fashion-inspired female on this campus, I believe that most men on this campus get sucked into monotony or laziness regarding personal style. There are some men who dress well, but they are usually few and far between.

This is something I will never understand. Men's clothes are so much more comfortable than women's clothes. It seems life would be so much easier without underwear lines and pantyhose. Still, many men don't take pride in their personal style. Guys also deserve the fashion luxuries that many women appreciate to express themselves.

At Context, one of the owners, Sam, had an awesome outfit and looked totally himself. When creating the store, the owners chose the name "Context" referring to Madison. Madison, Wis., Sam explained, is the context for "denim and street wear for the Madison man."

They understand where the trends of the men's fashion market are going, as jeans become lighter and tapered. Sam said they rely on the "subculture fans of salvaged denim." This subculture has been growing as a reaction to the mainstream style. This mainstream look in denim falls into the overdone, mass-produced style category. This store doesn't pick their clothes based on popularity, but rather on value.

Denim is their inspiration. They look at the quality of materials and pay attention to the detail and cut. Their style goes beyond the variables because the jeans they sell are truly unique.

Salvaged denim begins unwashed, untouched and eventually becomes a one of a kind, custom jean. The magic lies in the one characteristic that inherently all men have: laziness. These jeans are not supposed to be washed for 6 months, and after the long awaited wash, the jeans reflect your character. I can't imagine waiting half a year to wash my favorite pair of jeans. But the results are worth it. The jeans capture your movement, your environment, your life. These jeans represent unique fashion through everyday life.

Everyone has a favorite pair of jeans. Few people (let alone men) have a jean that is made fashionable through individuality. Jeans originally were created for the working class of miners and laborers. In the 1960s, the American denim market exploded and the purpose for jeans became different. They converted from the practical to the commercial. They created a projectile loom to mass-produce jeans, and in the process, made lower quality and un-original jeans for the American public. The trend exploded and is a huge part of our culture.

Then, in the 1980s, the Japanese clothiers came upon a great idea. They wanted to sell jeans to Japanese kids who loved American culture, so they bought the old shuttle looms and re-created the 1950s greaser jean. These jeans are now the salvaged denim Context loves.

Jeans have also become more dressed up. In today's world, people can dress up jeans much more than in the past. Unfortunately, Madison is not dressed up. Sam reminded me that "a restaurant or club cannot have a dress code in Madison or they will go out of business." This is very true. Too many men in this city go casual. The men's fashion pros at Context suggest Madison men open their mind to fashion and realize "there is so much more out there than The Gap." Context is one of the few stores in the immediate vicinity to shop at for men's clothes.

Men are more likely than women to fall into the unexpected grasp of an unoriginal personal style. There are so many more choices women are forced to deliberate upon because social norms require them to conform to the fashionable trends. There are also negative connotations that can be attached to men that actually care about fashion. Regardless of gender, being one of a kind is truly fashionable. Through the 'context' of the variables is where we find our personal style. To the men of Madison: You may learn a few things you don't expect from the new kids on the block.

Melissa Eisenberg is a sophomore planning to major in journalism. She can be reached for question or comment at [email protected].