Fashion, ethics closer than may seem

Do you know you are being tricked? Recently, "Mass Produced Brand Name" (for privacy reasons, I cannot mention the real brand) rang my stylish doorbell. They asked me to write an article about their new fashion line in today's column. Originally, I was flattered, but soon after realized the deceiving nature of their request. This column began on the premise that fashion should be appreciated and unique. If I were to give in to this brand, I would be eroding my integrity as a columnist. They wanted to set me up with a "style expert" if I had any questions regarding their cheaply produced, inexpensive mockery of real style.

The most angering aspect of this marketing scheme was "Mass Produced Brand Name's" method of targeting college students. They were going to use me (with little compensation, I might add) to get to you. In today's fashion media, our age group is where the money is. We don't know how to manage our money that well because, for many of us, it is a new concept. All of us are old enough to hold a job, and many of us are supported by our parents in some way. Living at college, students may not become savvy shoppers. This company wanted to play on the chords of our young lifestyles and promote homogenous fashion.

Conversely, marketing can accomplish many things in the fashion world. It can make us aware of awesome shoes, sales and diverse styles. Without it, I wouldn't be able to know as much as I do about the fashion media. All fashion columnists are a part of it. Where do they draw the line? Are they all paid to sell out?

In a journalism class focused on the mass consumer, I learned that stealth marketing blurs the real answers. Would people read this article if they knew that "Mass Produced Brand Name" was advertising to them?

Well … in honor of spring break, wear "Mass Produced Brand Name's" sleek spring break fashions without breaking the bank! It is not always that easy to discern between true testimonial and paid promotion. If I ever mention a brand name, it is usually because the designer has done something worth noting in the fashion-design world. When I asked my professor if this marketing ploy is frequently offered to journalists, she smiled and said it won't be the last I see of them. Many journalists get paid to plug products or brand names in their articles. I just hope it is not an inevitability of fashion journalism.

Suppose I was to randomly see a friend at the tanning salon and we struck up a conversation about South Beach. She mentions bars, restaurants and shopping to visit in the area. Should I be worried if she is plugging certain places because she is being paid?

That is not how I feel fashion journalism should be. Am I a rebel if I go against this brand name or am I not hip with the trend? Regardless, as we develop into more educated adults, fashion should become a statement, not a persuasion tool.

Originality in fashion comes with a hefty price tag: If you don't make yourself aware, you will never know if you are being tricked.

Melissa Eisenberg is a sophomore planning to major in journalism. She can be reached for question or comment at [email protected].