Urban studies: Madison’s foremost martini destination

Madison isn’t exactly New York City — it’s not nearly large, dense or expensive enough. In recent years, though, the powers that be seem to be making a move toward a more urban atmosphere here in the Dairy State’s capitol. Just look at State Street’s “redesign” — multi-thousand-dollar bus shelters (which seem to favor form over function) and the multi-million-dollar Overture Center all seem just a bit out of place in our little bubble.

The influx of clubs like Johnny O’s and Club Majestic also attest to this move toward the “classy.” When it first opened, the Majestic’s larger-than-average cover charges (to be fair, they also have larger-than-usual drinks) caused many a student to head to a cheaper alternative. There will always be those, however, that want a taste of the big city without having to deal with all the hassles.

Amid the State Street redesign, Crave opened its doors at 201 W. Gorham St. in 2002. Apparently the owners saw a niche that needed filling — a martini bar / “classy” restaurant to cater to the dress-up-to-do-dinner group. If anything evokes city life in Madison, Crave is it.

Immediately upon walking in the doors, it’s easy to notice the New York City-esque ambience. I almost expect to see Carrie Bradshaw and crew sipping Cosmos at the table next to me (I don’t, of course — instead, it’s a group of 10, nicely dressed and slightly tipsy twenty-something women). The space isn’t a tremendously large one, but a hostess is almost always there to promptly seat patrons.

I managed to score a seat in a relatively quiet corner — nice, considering it’s probably not common for a single woman and her computer to take up residence in Crave on a weeknight. My drink and dinner menus were at the table when I got there and I was able to order a drink within three minutes of sitting down.

The hardest decision you’ll have to make at Crave is which martini to order — not a very stressful choice, in my opinion (I just hope you don’t have a complex about saying “tini” at the end of every word). A quick glance over the drink menu reveals 25 martini varieties, as well as at least the same number of beer choices. And that’s just one side of the menu — flip it over and you’ll find a large selection of coffee drinks, after-dinner drinks and desserts.

There are so many wines available that they warrant their own menu, which covers another front and back. Obviously, if it’s choices you’re looking for, Crave is the place for you.

I perused the menu and decided on the Butterfingertini to start with — it’s a combination of vanilla vodka, butterscotch schnapps, Frangelico, amaretto and White Godiva, served in a glass rimmed with Butterfinger bits. Though the wait for my drink was a little longer than I had expected (about 10 minutes), it was worth the wait. The glass was full (a rather rare occurrence for an expensive martini) and the drink swirled nicely, topped off by Butterfinger bits. It also tasted amazing and somehow I could taste each individual type of alcohol. I will admit, though, the smell was more like a Butterfinger than the taste — nonetheless, I’d definitely order one again.

If butterscotch isn’t your bag, the Chocolate Raspberry Martini (raspberry vodka, White Godiva and Chambord) is another excellent choice. It packs a lot of punch without tasting like it does, which is both wonderful and dangerous! If you’re looking for something fruity, opt for the Carmeltini, which consists of a green apple martini served in a caramel-laced martini glass. If that’s not good, I don’t know what is.

Of course, martinis aren’t the only thing on the menu, though they are among the priciest (expect to pay between $7 and $9 each). The beer ranges from the traditionals, like Spotted Cow and Blue Moon, to harder-to-find brands like Franziskaner Hefe Weiss and DAB Dortmunder Original. Pints are priced comparably to other “classy” places in the area — around $4.

Another great choice if you’re looking for a way to warm up during the upcoming cold Wisconsin nights is a coffee drink. Crave offers a variety, from Crave Coffee (Godiva White Chocolate Liqueur, Bailey’s, whipped cream and Créme de Menthe) to Irish Mist (Bailey’s, Frangelico, Jameson’s and whipped cream). For the fine liqueur connoisseur, a wide range of port, sherry, single-malt scotch and cognac is also available.

The wine list closes out Crave’s drink selection with 28 varieties of white wine ($6-8 per glass), 37 varieties of red ($6-9 per glass), six varieties of sparkling wine ($6-8 per glass) and sake. All the wines are also available in bottles; if you order one, don’t forget to designate someone at your table as the taster. They get to do the whole shebang — swirl the wine around in a glass, smell it and take a taste before committing to the whole bottle. It’s quite the experience.

Crave also has a great food menu available all night, so don’t leave it at just the drinks — try an appetizer of waffle fries or sweet potato fries if you’re looking for munchies.

We may not have a huge variety of expensive martini joints here in Madison, but Crave wins for variety, atmosphere and overall taste. If you’re looking for something a little more fancy than an ordinary dinner out, stop by Crave and try something new.

Questions, comments or future column ideas? Talk to me at [email protected].