Bowling, beers for adventure

So it’s Friday night. Like so many other college students, you and your friends want to go somewhere to get your drink on. Problem is, a regular old bar just doesn’t sound that fun. You’re looking for something a little more … entertaining. Where do you go from here?

Luckily, Madison is filled with opportunities to both drink and be active at the same time. Let’s face it — the bar scene just feels dull sometimes. So why not get out and have a little adventure?

I’ll start with some options for the finest of all American pastimes — bowling. If there were ever a sport that so perfectly combined beer and heavy objects being projected rapidly across the ground, I’ve never found it. Bowling is especially prevalent in our neck of the woods, so it’s obvious that Madison has lots of great places to explore.

The first, and probably most well known alley in the area is the Badger Bowl, just off the West Beltline at 506 E. Badger Rd. It is pretty far from campus, but that’s half the adventure — find yourself a sobercab, pile seven of your nearest and dearest into a car and make the trip.

The best part of Badger Bowl is its traditional atmosphere — the sound of pins hitting the lane and people celebrating, shoes squeaking across the floor, drunken yelling and usually a mullet-clad band playing Jimmy Eat World covers. It’s a classic! There’s a full grill going, as well as a full bar. While many may prefer to stick to cheap beer (after all, you are at a bowling alley in Wisconsin), there are plenty of good options as well — Spotted Cow is on tap, of course.

If you can’t hitch a ride or don’t feel like making the trip, just take a walk on down to Union South’s games room (821 University Ave.) for a more student-friendly bowling alley atmosphere. If you ever went “Extreme Bowling” in high school, the ambiance will already be familiar to you — blacklights, popular hip-hop on the sound system and beer flowing plentifully.

As is University of Wisconsin tradition, the beer in the games room is awesome. There’s a large selection on tap (including at least one Capital brew at all times) as well as a cooler full of bottled varieties, all student-friendly priced. Almost all the varieties are $3.50 and under. Bowling shoes are optional at Union South, so if you’re cool with sliding around in your socks, you don’t have to shell out the extra fee to rent shoes.

Games are reasonably priced too, of course, and if you get there on a Sunday, it’s just $10 per lane (shoes included). Leagues are up and running, so if you’re hardcore, go ahead and sign up.

If you’re not so athletically inclined or just don’t want to ‘fess up to a night of bowling, never fear — there’s still plenty of drinker-friendly activity buzzing around the city. Live music, of course, is rampant all over Madison and there are lots of quality drinking establishments just waiting to entertain you with great music and aid in your buzz with some cheap drinks.

Pizzeria Uno (222 W. Gorham St.) may not be the most obvious choice for music on a weekend night, but it actually has a surprising selection of local acts and some great drink specials to boot. The cover charge at the door is almost always either minimal ($5 or less) or nonexistent; Spotted Cow in a gigantic 22-oz. glass costs about $3. You just can’t beat those prices, really.

If beer isn’t your bag, Uno’s is a great choice as well. With its Applebees-style menu, it offers “fancy” drinks like Mudslides and Cosmopolitans, so if you’re looking for something tasty you’re in luck. The Mudslide is especially excellent, with a creamy blend of vanilla ice cream, Bailey’s Irish Cream and Kahlua, served in a tall glass with a cherry for about $5. The Mango Margarita is another standout, combining a surprisingly fresh-tasting mango flavor with tequila, lime and triple sec.

Now that winter’s upon us, Uno’s also makes an excellent stop for a drink on these chilly nights. The bar offers coffee liquer drinks like Irish Coffee, which will warm you up, caffeinate you and contribute to your buzz all at the same time. Personally, I can’t think of anything that would taste better on a cold Wisconsin evening!

Next time you’re bored or just feeling like you’re in a bar rut, take a look around and check out something a little more active. You and your friends are guaranteed to have an interesting, if not amazing night, and your liver will most likely thank you in the morning.

Questions, comments or suggestions? Talk to me at [email protected].