5 for Doc Grip

Doc Grip has just released his second album, Prescription. Grip is hosting a CD-release party May 26 in Chicago. Check out his website at www.allmichaeibrooks.com.

Badger Herald: How did you get into rhyme-saying?

DG: I got into rapping after I won a freestyle contest at my high school my senior year. Before that, I didn’t really take it that seriously. I would do what most people who like hip hop do, like rap along to music in the car, or get into random ciphers with friends. But after that contest, I decided that this was something I loved to do.

BH: Who do you feel in today’s hip-hop community?

DG: I have really got a lot of respect for anybody trying to make it in this industry. It takes a lot of passion, hard work and of course, skills, and no matter what you think of someone’s music, you gotta respect the way people put themselves out there like that. My favorites, though, are Jay-Z, Nas, Biggie, Tupac, De La Soul, and Outkast.

BH: How did you get involved with the All Michael Brooks?

DG: Michael Brooks is my producer. He lays down all of the beats and does some cameos on the album. I chose to work with him because he’s motivated and a really talented musician. When he wanted me to work under his label, Level10 Entertainment, I jumped at the opportunity.

BH: Tha 446 is releasing a Doc Grip dis called “Stunt 2 Much.” How do you feel about people coming at you?

DG: I don’t even know who that is.

BH: What Madison spots do you feel the most?

DG: There are two places that I will always remember: The Kohl Center when we opened up for Run DMC and the Orpheum where we opened up for Naughty by Nature this past Halloween. Other than that, you really gotta work to get venues around here to play live hip hop. So we stick to the Regent Street Retreat Annex and university-sponsored shows. We used to love playing at the Angelic, but they won’t let hip-hop acts in anymore.