Fred Durst’s search for a guitarist is a sham

This time he’s gone too far. In one of the biggest shams in the history of modern music, Fred Durst has been duping thousands of hopeful guitarists into thinking that they have a shot at joining Limp Bizkit in wake of guitarist Wes Boreland’s departure earlier this fall. Following Boreland’s departure, Fred decided that the band would host a nationwide competition on both the web and at Guitar Center stores to try and locate a new guitarist. To any kid slinging hash on the weekends and jamming all night long, this would sound like a dream come true, but don’t believe it for a minute. To understand why this is such a load of crap, you have to look at the fine print. That is where the scam begins.

Everyone knows Fred Durst can’t play an instrument, can’t hold a note and is backed by some mediocre musicians. Wes Boreland was Limp Bizkit; without his guitars complementing Durst’s weak rhymes, there really is no Limp Bizkit. So what did Durst do when Boreland left? He created a scam that is going to shatter more dreams than anyone may think. The fine print says anyone who tries out for the band isn’t allowed to play cover songs, or any music that is copyrighted or will be copyrighted in the near future.

What does this mean? That anyone who uploads tracks to the band’s website or who tried out at a local Guitar Center had to play original, non-copyrighted material. The release each guitar player signed also indicated that Durst has the right to steal anything that was submitted and use it on the record, and that no one will be paid or compensated in any way. Unfortunately, thousand of starstruck guitar players signed the releases and essentially signed away all rights to anything they played for the donut-munching Mr. Durst.

When this is all over, Durst will have hundreds of hours of music he didn’t write, and that is where the new Limp Bizkit album will come from. It seems safe to speculate that not only will Durst not select a fan to play in the group permanently, the entirety of the new Limp Bizkit album will come from material Durst stole from hardworking amateur musicians who were just hoping for a break.

So if and when Limp Bizkit releases a new album, just remember who wrote it.